R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich WDH to buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which WDH to buy
    Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 9:53pm
I have a 2013 Pathfinder SV 4WD with factory tow; allow me to point out some lessons learned:

1. You will need an anti-rattle device (you can see it on mine). The receiver on the pathfinder allows for enough play to drive you crazy. I purchased a RoadMaster Quiet Hitch and it works very well:
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Accessories-sf-Anti~Rattle-hs-Sleeve_Style.aspx
2. I purchased my WDH and anti-sway from Harbor Freight. The price was good and is not too complicated to install:
10000 lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch 67649 1 $199.99
Trailer Sway Control Kit 96462 1 $29.99
3. My mileage towing averages 12-14 MPG.
4. The CVT works quite well and smoothly since it does not need to constantly hunt for gears as does a regular transmission.
5. At some point I plan on upgrading the rear shocks for some Ranchos or similar since it still sags with the WDH a bit more than I like (cars still flash me at night).
6. Chains should be crossed left to right and vice-versa to form a cradle if the hitch were to disconnect/drop, so please ignore the fact I had them wrong when I took this picture :)

Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 10:04pm
Thanks.  Never thought about the rattle before.  Maybe didn't have any with the Tahoe receiver.  In any event, will keep it in mind.  How does turning up the radio work?  Seriously, thanks.  Now that I think about it, I need to know how your enjoying your Pathfinder?  I am coming from a big V8 Tahoe with a 6,800 lb. towing capacity down to a 6 cylinder, with a 5,000 towing capacity.  always was able to jam up the long mountain passes at 65 or higher and certainly had lots of passing power.  What has been your experience?  I'm sure on the flat terrain, it would be fine.  However, towing up a long mountain pass, with all the large trucks struggling up at 25 mph. and needing to pass is a concern.  Your thoughts?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 10:38pm
I have read many posts on WDH hitches etc and wonder if I am missing something. It may be because my T.V. has a longer wheel base, but I tow with a simple friction anti sway bar and have never had a problem. I have not towed through mountains or on the plains, but Southern Indiana Is very Hilly and I have towed in 40 mph cross winds and never had a problem with sway. Semi's blow by me sometimes like I am setting still, I feel a little tug but no directional stability problems. I usually stay in the right lane on Interstates and run between 55 and 65, mostly 60 on the flats just for better fuel economy. Have I just been lucky or is it the combo of the T.V. and the light weight 172. P.S. I usually have only about 5 gallons of fresh water on board in case we need to stop for a potty break.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 10:55pm
I towed my pod for over a year with our Sienna w/o a problem, but one day I got into heavy wind and I wished I had sway control.  Getting a WDH with sway control killed 2 problems at one time.  You never know when you will finally need it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Greg Smith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 11:30pm
I tow a 179 with a V6 Rav4. My long trip was from Central Washington to Cody, Wyoming and back.
I had changed my old equalizer hitch to a Blue Ox Sway Pro. ( http://blueox.com/p-1181-swaypro.aspx )
We went over three passes above 8000' and a massive thunder storm. The trailer quietly stayed where it belonged.
It might be a bit pricey, but it is worth every penny to me.
Greg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 11:42pm
I can tell you that all we needed with the Tahoe while towing a Pod was an anti-sway device.  The longer wheelbase and weight of the TV made the difference.  Now downsizing, and after reading many posts by owners who have lighter and shorter wheelbase vehicles, I believe a WDH makes towing no longer a possible white knuckle event.  Just looking to be proactive when towing and have all the right tools to be safe.  I have given up my wild, motorcycle riding, daredevil days, as I age,  for a more comprehensive attitude towards safety.   I would rather err on the conservative side, with too much, rather than too little, and  possibly becoming a statistic.  Didn't we have someone post about an unfortunate accident, a while ago?  Wonder if using a WDH would have prevented his accident?  Will have to see what long mountain towing scenarios will show.  Can't be too safe in my book.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:58am
Bob, one consideration might be a bike rack. We use a Swagman 64664 which attaches to WDH shank. I was lucky because i had enough shank length with my Reese WDH. I can't say enough good things about the Swagman. It's a great bike rack. Pic in my signature below.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:32am
I ran across this WB Chart that suggests minimums for safe towing.

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 11:43am
Thanks for the chart. I didn't check the wheelbase but I believe I'm OK. I did look at many WDH that others had suggested. Some are quite a bit more expensive. Since they all do about the same job, I am going with the one from Amazon. Will wait till the holidays are over and will then order it. I hope it comes assembled. Since I am approaching my dotage, the hand/brain connections are fraying at the ends. For those who are also approaching their dotage, I'm sure YOU understand. Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by johnmaci

I have a 2013 Pathfinder SV 4WD with factory tow; allow me to point out some lessons learned:

1. You will need an anti-rattle device (you can see it on mine). The receiver on the pathfinder allows for enough play to drive you crazy. I purchased a RoadMaster Quiet Hitch and it works very well:
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Accessories-sf-Anti~Rattle-hs-Sleeve_Style.aspx
2. I purchased my WDH and anti-sway from Harbor Freight. The price was good and is not too complicated to install:
10000 lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch 67649 1 $199.99
Trailer Sway Control Kit 96462 1 $29.99
3. My mileage towing averages 12-14 MPG.
4. The CVT works quite well and smoothly since it does not need to constantly hunt for gears as does a regular transmission.
5. At some point I plan on upgrading the rear shocks for some Ranchos or similar since it still sags with the WDH a bit more than I like (cars still flash me at night).
6. Chains should be crossed left to right and vice-versa to form a cradle if the hitch were to disconnect/drop, so please ignore the fact I had them wrong when I took this picture :)

If I may offer a couple points..

A) changing your shocks will do nothing to fix squat or ride height. Ride height is strictly a function of springs, shocks only control movement of the body around the springs lift.

B) if you are using a WDH, and you are getting flashed at night, and still have rear squat, you do not have the WDH adjusted properly. Your WDH set up instructions should tell you to do your set up on a flat surface, and measure the ride height at the fender wells front and rear, then hook up, and adjust the WDH until it's distributing the weight across the axles evenly, as evidenced by the static ride height being the same after hook up as when not hooked up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>