R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOpening windows in 172 bunks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opening windows in 172 bunks
    Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 8:38pm
We wanted some bunk windows on the port side of the bunks opposite the door to create some nice breeze at night. Since they'll be out from under the protection of the dome or awning, we wanted them to crank out so they could stay open at night in a light rain, and we wanted frosted glass rather than smoked. Sometime back I took some pictures of our pod on a frosty morning, which showed us the locations of all the aluminum studs perfectly. So armed with that picture, a stud finder, straight edge, and some masking tape I made a basic layout on the outside of the pod.

The two outer lines are the aluminum studs and the middle line is the edge of the bathroom wall. So except for the upper bunk there's really nothing between the left and middle line to worry about. This is my basic working area. 

Now we're inside. The layout and process is the same for both bunks, but I'll concentrate on the top bunk. The horizontal line is the top of the mattress, and the vertical line is the front aluminum stud, or the left line in the previous picture. I made a template of the window cutout, and this is drawn on the green tape rectangle. Of course, the window is bigger all around than the cutout, so make sure you stay far enough away from the walls and ceiling. I measured and checked my layout about 37 times, but finally it was time to just do it. So I drilled a pilot hole inside the cutout line, and armed with my jigsaw, I hacked two 8" x 17" holes in the side of the pod. That was intense, let me tell you.

Skip ahead, and here's the top window installed. Just have to touch up the screws with some black paint and I'm done. The frosted glass lets in some light but still gives you some privacy when you're reading in the bunk at night with the lights on. I hate it when people read over my shoulder.

So here's the two finished windows. The windows are made especially for Scamp, and they'll be happy to sell you them for $80 apiece, though they may be on back order. There are a few issues you need to know about, however. (This mod looked pretty easy so you had to know this was coming.)

First of all, the Scamp folks are really nice, but they have no idea how an rpod is put together, so they can't give you any advice as to whether or not these windows will work for you. They're only returnable in new condition with pre-authorization, and then subject to a 20% restocking fee. I did check on custom windows, but the price made my heart skip a beat. This is the best window I could find after a LOT of looking, so what the heck - for you guys, I'll just go ahead and do it. I'm that kind of guy. 

Second, the trim/mounting rings that come with the windows absolutely will not work with the pod, no matter which way you turn them or how much you cuss. These windows are a bit thicker than the Scamp and rpod walls, so the mounting/trim rings work differently than the rest of the windows in the pod. I had a hunch this might be the case, so before I ordered, I lined up a source to make me whatever I might need for trim/mounting rings. Once I got these windows, figured out what I needed, and made a really really nice professional sketch, my source backed out. Crap. This forced me to modify the rings that came with the windows. This involved a hand grinder, jigsaw with metal blades, file, some blood and some cussing. If you are really interested, PM me and I'll give you all the gory details of what was involved. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:12pm
Excellent wright up, thanks for taking the time to document this mod, I enjoyed reading it. The windows look great.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:01pm
Really nice mod!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:39pm
yes, nice!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:42pm
I have popcorn, I am waiting for the gory details part....
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 11:21pm
I think in my years of being on this forum that is one of the best Mod's I have seen , Period. FR would do well to incorporate this into their new models. And I think you should get a nice Bonus Check from FR also. Thanks for the post.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 8:07am
Originally posted by kymooses

I have popcorn, I am waiting for the gory details part....

X2..
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 9:20am
I no longer have my 2013 RP172, but that's a really neat mod. Definitely an improvement. And an excellent detailed writeup. Good job.

Edited by CharlieM - 12 Apr 2015 at 9:21am
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:59pm
Ran into an unexpected snag today. While doing spring maintenance on the pod I realized the storage compartment lid under the lower bunk won't bypass the new window.  Looks like I'll be making a modification to the lid in the next few days. Shouldn't be too hard, just move the cut end of the lid over a few inches and make the cut off part stationary, then move the left hand lift cylinder to suit.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 7:02pm
I know how that works, bin there done that.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>