R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Harry

Hi Jandl:

I, too, tow with a Ridgeline.  I now run with an equalizer, and the hitch has been quiet ever since I started.  Do you use an equalizer?

H

I tow my 171 with a Ridgeline, no WDH as the Honda Owner's Manual advises against it.  No sway bars yet as I haven't needed them so far, but I'm still new to this.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
JohnBG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:24am
Originally posted by JandL

I installed a “StowAway Hitch Tightener” I got at Amazon. It stops hitch wobble for trailer ball mounts, the receiver and hitch are locked together. It takes all the slack out of the receiver on the truck side so no more banging together. I have been using it for over a year and think it makes for a much nicer tow.

Yup I installed one of those too.  Took all of the clanging and banging out of my hitch for each bump in the road.  Quiet now...
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:32am
Hi Harry
The only thing I use is a “StowAway Hitch Tightener”. See the picture from the post dated 29 Jun 2015 at 11:41pm. I wanted a simple system to hook up to the trailer and I've had no towing issues and I can turn sharper when backing up. I also tow at 55-60 mph because that gives me the best MPG and no sway.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 12:33pm
Thank you.
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 8:08pm
Hi Jandl:

There is a lot of discussion on this site about the benefits of equalizer vs sway bars vs nothing at  all, as there is on the Honda Ridgeline Owners' forum.  Honda doesn't really give a reason for this recommendation in the owner's manual, but the common speculation is that an equalizer will "confuse" the electronic anti-rollover system in the Ridgeline.  Countering this argument is the generally-accepted view that, if you are towing more than 50% of the tv's gvw (which I am), then you should be running with an equalizer. When I hooked on with no equalizer, the front of the Ridgeline was high, and I had trouble balancing the load between the truck and the rood.  And I never traveled with any water on board.  

I happened to have an opportunity to try an equalizer, and it made a huge difference in ride "poise", handling, and controllability.  I was surprised at the improvement, and I now even travel with some water on board for some of those occasional road-side stops.  I am now in my third towing season with my 176T and Ridgeline, and I can only say good things about the equalizer.  And I have never had the slightest problem with the anti-rollover system. 

If you can borrow an equalizer, try it out, and I suspect you will be sold on it.

Harry
2013 R-pod 176T
3.5 L 4WD
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:55pm
I like my simple set up and have no sway if I travel at 55-60 mph. If I drive 65-70 mph I can feel it sway slightly, also at that speed I can feel the cross winds pushing on the side of the trailer. If I am not watching my speed I can feel the trailer and know I'm going too fast. I have read some of the posting on the Honda Ridgeline forum and it seems that some do have the equalizer set up.

Very good article from the “Jayco RV Owners Forum” about towing with a ridge line

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/2012-honda-ridgeline-towing-jayflight-swift-slx-2014-a-17523.html
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 10:10pm
Looks like we're both happy with our respective set-ups, and that's what matters.

I also keep my speed at 90 - 95 kph.  Any more than that and the RL gobbles gas, which gets very expensive in Canada.

Have safe traveling and camping trips, and keep the shiny side up!

Harry
2013 R-pod 176T
3.5 L 4WD
Murphy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 12:57pm
We're new to the forum, but have been viewing it since we got our RP177 last fall. We've learned so much from the members here and have used many of the great modification ideas.

We made some foam backrests for the dinette. We can now sit sideways and lean back comfortably and watch a movie or read a book.

2015 RP 177
2014 Ford F-150
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 8:20am
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GorgePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GorgePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 9:01pm

The tube is adjustable and about 6" in diameter. The part was screwed into the frame and a L bracket. This was available at the dealer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 52>