Topic ClosedDogs and Breed Restrictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dogs and Breed Restrictions
    Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Leo B

37 years in Police work, deal with sheppards, dobies,rotties, all kinds......................was only ever bit b\y a Chihuahua!! You never know! 

I'm thinking I should have guessed by your member name.....

Thanks for your service! I am a former LEO myself (Town of Speedway PD,IN)and also former Firefighter/EMT (Wayne TWP.,IN).

I seem to recall reading a study indicating that the breed most likely to bite is, of all things, the wiener dog (Dachshund)!!!

In my neck of the woods, even the underwriters for homeowners insurance are getting picky. I changed companies 2 years ago (I have an independent agent) and when the new company saw Dixie on my application, they got a little nervous. My (long time)agent came out and took pictures of my 6' privacy fence and (only)one gate that is padlocked all the time - to calm them and get me accepted and the better rate.

Leo...while I'm thinking of it....are you anywhere near Underhill, VT or Underhill State Park? I am going to go there, hopefully sooner than later - just for the halibut. (it is my last name )
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 1:00pm
David....thank you also! We work very close with our FD and ems as being a rural State, we are spread pretty thin!

We are on the other side of the State, about an 1 1/2 hrs away. Underhill is over near Burlington and we are over near the New Hampshire border in what is called the " Northeast Kingdom". The foliage hasn't really started yet, but should be within the next couple of weeks. We did a lot of training at the Base over in Underhill.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:36pm
Not to hijack the thread but......
Thanks for the info! The way I see it, how could I NOT visit a town and park that is named after me!

I've always had a lot of respect for the more rural guys/gals. Back up can be a long way off. The Town of Speedway is/was surrounded by Indianapolis so, we kind of had the worst of both worlds - small town (about 15,000) but with larger urban problems spillover too. And then there was the Indy 500, back in it's heydays.

I know of one cash strapped community nearby that has gone to a "First Responder" scenario. LEOs are trained/certified in firefighting and EMS and firefighters/EMTs are trained/certified/sworn in law enforcement. I have not heard how well it is working out, but I know from experience that is a lot to put on a person.

Anyway, keep safe! If you see a Coleman TT headed towards Underhill, honk and wave...it just might be me & Dixie!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:49pm
Definitely!  It was quite an experience. We used to cover 22 towns with 1 Sgt and 3 Troopers. Of the 22 towns two villages has small PD's. We did the rest. Made for some busy days/nights.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Made for some busy days/nights.

YES I GUESS! I'd say you guys were a tad bit lean. No doubt we could trade a few war stories. I thank the Almighty that we're both still here to do so. It's a job/life like no other. Again, thanks!
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:35pm
The Mrs was worked her way through college at a small State Forest campground near here. She was only bitten once, by a small angle biter. (all the higher the little #@&*%! could reach).
Back then they had the leash law but usually only enforced it when problems arouse. It worked pretty well for her.
There were a few dog owners that could walk their dogs around the camp site and they would stay there.

BTW, that would be the Boise Brule State Forest Campground along with the Copper Range Campground in Brule Wis. Nice, small rustic (basic, water and toilets) campgrounds about a mile and four miles off Hwy 2 in NW Wis.
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 5:36pm
Jeez, now I gotta call Leo...Sir?! Confused

That's OK, though. I've seen the fish he catches. I'd call him Sir anyway, anyday! Thanks for what it is you (and all you Leo's did/do). I can only imagine how tough that job must be.

BTW, Henry (my camping cat) could take any one of those ankle biters without breaking a sweat!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 5:51pm
Thanks Fred! My money is on the cat ! Got bit by one of them too!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12