R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Space Heater? Amps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Space Heater? Amps?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 12:32pm
My wife and I are going out next week when the temps are below freezing.  I've winterized our 2016 Rpod 179 and won't be using water.  But we'll have an electric hookup and want to use the electrical juice rather than battery/gas for the refrigerator.  Also want to heat with a small ceramic space heater.

We bought one and I plugged it in in the rpod (when connected to electricity) and on a low setting it draws 8 amp (according to our surge protector unit) and on high draws 13 amps.  I have it plugged into the outlet below the counter.  

Somehow I have in mind that we shouldn't exceed 15 amps but I know the refrigerator used a little, plus the lights, etc. The Rpod, of course, is wired for 30 amps.

Any advice?

John
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 1:20pm
My guess is that the heater will be the largest draw and everything else will be significantly less.  You certainly won't be using the AC at the same time as the heater which would be the other large draw.  I wouldn't sweat it.   If a breaker trips, then perhaps you should only run it on low.

NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 1:48pm
Sounds like good advice.  Maybe if we run it on low most of the time we'll won't have to worry at all.

Thanks,

John
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 2:00pm
Most small electric heaters are rated at 1500 watts (12.5A @ 120V). It may well show up as 13A on your surge protector. The other big draws will be the electric side of the HW heater and the microwave if you use them. If your power source can supply it you can go to the full 30A rating. If the electric heater is running you could also run the electric HW heater OR the mictrowave, but not both. The load for the lights/fridge/converter are small if the battery is not heavily charging. Keep in mind the electric side of the HW heater can come on at any time (1440W = 12A @ 120V). If you have to stay under 15A run the WH on propane. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 2:17pm
Thanks for your good answer.  We'll not be using hot water since we winterized it all and will probably just be using the lights, fridge and heater.

Thanks again,

John

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 6:39pm
I was fine in my 171 with a cube heater on low even at 10 F, but with the slide-out you may need high depending on how cold it is.  Don't forget to keep a window and the vent cracked open, it is even more important when it is cold or it will rain inside.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
NMJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 9:43am
Thanks for the reminder about the ventilation.  Lots to learn with a new unit.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply