Topic ClosedSoon-to-be new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon-to-be new owner
    Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:44am
Hello from a soon-to-be 179 owner. We expect to pick it up on December 7th.

We looked at a number of different campers, including models from Starcraft, KZ, and Coleman. I wanted something that would be towable by our Escape (2016 SE, 2 L EcoBoost engine with factory towing package, rated at 3,500 lbs). After getting scammed on a non-existent Casita, I found an R-Pod dealer not too far away from us.

We decided that the layout of the 179 was the best for us. While I  would have preferred a walk-around queen (or even double) bed, we will adapt to this one. The thing that sold us on the 179 is the kitchen and storage space. Having the dinette in the slide-out seemed to make more sense.

We hope to get many years of enjoyment with this R-Pod. It will make possible some of the "We ought to stop and see this sometime" travel that we have not done because motels and meals would just cost too much. Admittedly, the R-Pod isn't inexpensive, but being able to eat our own cooking is a big plus.

I plan to add a picture if it is possible once we pick up our R-Pod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:19pm
Congratulations on your new purchase. There don't seem to be too many unhappy 179 owners out there so you're joining a pretty good club.
You're at the light end of the tow vehicle spectrum and many out there will say bigger is better, but if you drive right and don't try to race any hemi-pickups, you should do fine.
You might also want to check the threads about weight distribution hitches. Lots of good facts and some religion too.
For anyone who tows, I recommend "The Long Long Trailer" with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball as an excellent primer.
Have fun.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:13pm
Thanks Shroomer.

I remember seeing "The Long Long Trailer many years ago. I also remember the camping trailer my parents had. I have a lot of good memories from camping in that trailer.

I realize that the Escape is on the small size, but I will be driving much more without the R-Pod than with it. I am not one to race anyway. I will be getting an Equal-i-zer hitch with the trailer. That will give me sway control as well as equalization. This Escape replaced one that had a larger, but less powerful engine. My original choice for a camper would have been a Casita. Since that was not an option for the timeline I had, the R-Pod is the best alternative. In many cases, I expect it to be better.

Since I expect to be off grid on our first trip, l am thinking of buying and installing a second battery to install with the one that will come with the R-Pod. However, I need to get it first so I can get the same type battery. I also need to wire in a 12 volt outlet and figure out how to put a small shelf in for my cpap machine. I have a lot to do in a very shot time before we leave to see our chlldren and grandchildren.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:23am
There are a lot of good conversations on the forum about batteries. Do a search and you'll find a lot of good information. I happen to use 2 Marine Deep Cycle AGM's since I already owned one. It's a pricey way to go. Most cost effective way seems to be to get 2 6V golf cart batteries and wire them in series. The battery provided doesn't provide a lot of juice and two may not keep your cpap running that long.

I checked our cpap and found that it runs native on 12v and the AC adapter simply makes 12v dc. I put an DC outlet by bed and we were good to go. I've spoken to others who weren't as lucky though and needed AC inverters.

Battery life will depend on lifestyle. The new led lights don't use anything, but the gas heater will draw them down quickly. The more electronic goodies you hook up, the faster you'll drain. If you're going out more than 4 days, you'll want to look at charging methods: generator, tow vehicle, solar. Again, lots of discussion on these.

Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:23am
Thanks for the advice. I would like to go the 6 volt route, but will initially need to go with a second battery like the first. If batteries hold overnight, that will be adequate for the first trips. While we are at our daughters'  houses, we should be able to hook up to AC and while we are on the road, they will get a T.V. charge during the day.

My CPAP does use 12V. The power brick supplies that 12V but battery supply should be fine as long as I don't try to power the humidifier also. The concern, of course, is the furnace. If we keep the temperature setting low, it should reduce the power needed We will just have extra blankets. Other than that, we will need to charge cell phones, but again, that can be done during the day while we are travelling.

If I were to get two 6V batteries, what could be done with the 12V battery that will come with the R-Pod? I don't have a boat with which to use it. It would be too good to recycle.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:52am
Using two 6V golf cart batteries will provide 30%-40% more capacity than two Gp 24 twelve volt batteries. The battery is usually a dealer installed item and is the cheapest one from his stock. If you can contact the dealer before you pick up the camper you may be able to negotiate a swap for two good 6V golf cart batteries. Many dealers supply Interstate batteries and they make a good golfer. He should give you some credit for the 12V battery you paid for and you don't have to dispose of the new/unused battery.  In any case make sure the rack on the RPOd will accomodate two 6V golfers with cases. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:58am
Thanks. I would not have thought about that. I'll contact them soon as I finish this message. Smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:12pm
Welcome.  Hopefully you didn't lose any money on the Casita that wasn't.  If you already had the 12 volt battery I would say just get another like it and use it for the next 5-6 years.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 10:46pm
Unfortunately, I did lose money. Angry I should have seen the red flags, but I didn't.

I contacted the dealer (Country Roads RV Center in Lexington, NC). It is not too late to get the battery upgrade, and the preliminary quote I got sounds reasonable. This way too, I should get the proper size cases for the six-volt batteries. I'm glad I didn't wait until we got there to pick it up to ask. Smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 7:45am
Stephen, Ford Motor Company has a tow "rating", for their vehicles, that refers to total frontal area as well as weight, you might want to look at it before you pull the trigger.  I considered a Escape, I really liked the "high tech" aspect of the EcoBoost, but went home with a hemi powered Grand Cherokee instead.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>