R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir flow, beds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air flow, beds
    Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:09pm
We recently sold our Fleetwood tent camper, and the RP 178 and 9 are on our list of upgrades.  After doing a walk-through I am wondering about fresh air flow.  It doesn't look like there is a lot of open window area; the windows open just half-way and the back and front windows don't open at all.  We don't want to be dependent on running the AC or even a fan.  Is this a problem?

Also, in a few of the posts owners have mentioned that the mattresses (both on the main bed and the dinette bed) are cheap and they needed to replace them or purchase a foam insert.  Is this true?

Thanks for your help. Tim

Tim
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:22pm
1) All pods have a Fantastic Fan in the bathroom, it will move tons of air, very quietly. I don't remember anyone having an issue with it bothering them.

2) The pod is built to a price point, AND, mattress comfort is hugely and personally subjective. The mattress they use is not very good, most replace with a mattress they like. That said, lots of owners stay with the factory mattress. I would rather pay less for the pod, and get a mattress I like on my own, rather than pay for a "good" mattress, that I hate and have to change anyways..

If you need to use the dinette as sleeping space, as it sounds you do, the 178 is a much better choice. The chatter from 179 owners is pretty consistent that it's a "couple trailer" only. The dinette just doesn't make up or sleep well.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:30pm
It is true, my wife has mastered the window opening and fan operation. She turns on the fan and opens certain windows a certain amount and has air flowing through our 179. In our month stay at Cape Hatteras, we only turned on the a/c a few days. the rest was done with the fan.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:36pm
With the 179, we took the table out and put it in the barn.  Made a pedestal table that comes apart and stows for travel on the bed.  It is about 2' square and four can eat comfortably.  We also came from a tent trailer.  the mattress was about like the fleetwood tent trailer.  We did get a memory foam mattress from Costco, cut 6" off and it feels like a luxury motel.  Fresh air isn't a problem, but then we camp mostly in the mtns or Snake River plain where there is always a breeze, or a big"breeze".  I have yet to be anywhere I could plug the AC in.  I have a 2000 watt generator.  Any more than two campers gets the tent.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:37pm
I did order the window for the door, and it will be a winter project.  It also opens a bit.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:19pm
Welcome.  We added a memory foam topper with the factory mattress and loved it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 11:59am
We have a 2016 R179 and have added a 2" foam piece on top of the stock mattress. We did this for my sister who reminds me of the princess and the pea. She now thinks it's fine. I sleep on it when just I am using the pod and it is great.

When the two of us travel she gets the big bed and I get the dinet. I use just the part by the window and it is OK. In size it is about the same as a bunk bed. When I tried using the table folded down it just kept sliding apart so now I just use the part by the window and it works OK for me. After all this is camping not a 5 star hotel.
coloradokid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:48pm
Thanks, for the helpful ideas, Podders.  I'll take another look at the 178 and see how I might incorporate your ideas.
Tim
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:43pm
Agreement with the above posts.  You may have to experiment a bit for air flow, but for us it has not been a problem in the 5 years we have had our 177.

The mattress . . . . is Spartan (yes Go Green Go White M.S.U.) but in this case, after 3 nights of sleeping on the mattress that came with the unit, it literally got thrown out and replaced by a superior mattress, you can go to other posts to find out others preferences.  For us the mattress in a roll, from camping world, has been a fantastic replacement.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:48am
Airflow has not been a problem in our 179, although it's good to leave a window open just a crack as it can get fairly humid inside otherwise. 

On sleeping, as it comes from the factory, the 179 is best for two, or maybe three sleepers.  The dinette does convert to a bed that may be wide enough for two, but it requires five different cushions and the resulting bed covers three heights.  And those two corner cushions are in the way most of the time.

We got a cover from FR to match the cushion in the seating area and added foam from a local store.  The quirky table was exiled to storage.  Then I cut plywood to about 26" wide and attached aluminum channel to the ends.  I considered attaching the plywood with hinges but did not want to void any warranties, so the plywood just slides in and out.  The aluminum channel makes sliding easy. 

Those hassock-things remain to support the extended bed, but it takes 3/4" 1x6" spacers to bring the new bed up to the height of the original bed.  We use soft plastic drawer liner underneath the new bed and everything stays in place nicely.   They may not even be necessary. 

For tables, we added two folding TV tables from Target.  They store nicely under the extended bed at night, or while on the road.  They can be stored on the dinette cushion and held in place by the strap that comes with the Pod, or moved to the "real" bed.  The new cushion becomes the seat back for the dinette and those corner pillows are in storage, along with the folding table.  I'll admit that the new seat back does cut down on the view outside but so far, the trade-off is great. 

So now, although crowded, four adults can sleep inside.  In our case, the expanded bed works well if one of us has to get up during the night.  No more squabbles about who will sleep on the outside.

We had a mattress topper that we moved from our old FR Surveyor, and it helps a lot. 

There are some pictures elsewhere in the forum. 
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>