FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello😄 - Event Date: 02 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hello😄
    Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 4:10pm
Hello Everyone.
I'm not an Rpod owner yet, but I'm very interested in the 180. I joined this forum for information. I'm about a year or so away from my purchase. It seems a bit far but I like to do my research and what better way than talk to other campers😄👍🏼. 

My wife and I are seasoned pop up and canoe campers. I know how I want to use this camper and the 180s floor plan seems very functional for us. My main questions are about the durability of this unit. I'm sure it's very good. I'm just curious about people's general experience with their rpods. When the weather warms I'll go and look at the dealership, but I hate to ask salesman for to much information as I'm not ready to buy just yet. I really don't want to waste their time. I also like the opinions of owners over retailers. 

I'll be towing this with a Honda Ridgline. So the weight is simply wonderful. My concern is the seeming lack of a roll out awning. I've seen the tent style awning that fastens on some how. It looks very nice, but similar to my pop up, it's a step I'd like to avoid. I can easily buy a screen room but I'd sure like a roll out awning. I camp all over Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. I need to be ready for rain or shine.🌞⚡️🌦☄.
Thank you for any opinions or experience you can provide me with.
Patrick
Patrick&Deanna,
Scion xB, Clark Vertex Hammock "PuppypPod", crosswind kayak
Starting from scratch😄
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 5:05pm
Welcome to the group! We are on our second pod  the first one was in great condition, we just wanted to get a little bit bigger with the slide out. They a pretty tough!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 5:08pm
Patrick,
We are now in our 5th year owning a 177.  Purchased it in the UP,  Escanaba, Michigan.  The only problems I encountered with our unit thus far is due to operator error and these are the two problems: 1) toasted my hot water heater because I forgot to open the bypass on the water supply line, 2) bad "tail wagging the dog" on our first road trip, remedied by installing a anti-sway bar - problem solved. TV is a Ford Explorer. 

The tent awning on the pod is the r-dome.  After a couple times installing I have it down to about 10 minutes if done by myself, less time if my sweet wife helps!Smile  We normally don't put up the r-dome unless we are staying for at least a few days.  Like the convenience of packing up and going in minimal time.  The only time we had a failure with the dome was in the UP of Michigan, between mosquitoes and black flies, both seem to find a way to sneak their way inside.  Other than that we have nothing but good words and memories for our 177.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 5:10pm
You bought a second, so that's great for the satisfaction colum👍🏼. The slide out aspect caught my eye right away.  I can see why you'd upgrade. Thank you
Patrick&Deanna,
Starting from scratch😄
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 5:20pm
Jim and Diane.
I've never used a sway bar in my popup, no need. So do the come In different sizes/specs? Which one did u get or recommend. Thanks for info and patience. 😄 Please just answer at your leisure. 
Patrick&Deanna,
Starting from scratch😄
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 6:23pm
Patrick and Deanna,

We were popup campers from 1982-2011.  The latest was a 1993 Jayco, 6 sleeper that was 22' long when opened up.  No, we never needed a sway bar for those either but with our Explorer with a shorter wheelbase, found it quite necessary.  Friction sway bars are normally one size as far as I know.  Bought one locally in Traverse City, MI back in 2011 for $ 60.  Installed it in about 1 hour.  Might have to do a search to find out if there are any favorites when it comes to what "name" is on the plate.  Can't remember the name on ours, maybe will trudge thru the snow out to the horsebarn and find out what kind it is.  Better do it soon as it is nearly dark now.
God's pod
'11 model 177
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 7:06pm
Just got back, mine is called a Pro Control Friction Sway Bar.  Checked on Amazon and it is cheaper now than it was 5 years ago, or maybe I forgot how much I paid for it :)  Anyway current Amazon price is only $ 45.29 and FREE shipping.  Quite a deal.  The model # is 83660.
God's pod
'11 model 177
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:27am
Thank you Jato. U when above and beyond. I know I can ask a hitch-n-go or dealer but is a sway bar and an equalizer hitch the same or different. If different how? That's if a person needs it. Also does this have electric brakes? Again answer at your leisure.
We had a palomino mustang pop up for 12 years. I loved it. I've been doing more kayak camping in the Voyaguers NP in MN. So we sold pop up to a friend and I've regretted it ever since. It was time to up grade anyway. This Rpod seems to Check a lot f boxes for us. I watched YouTube and the r dome seems way ez r than my screen room on the pop up.
Patrick&Deanna,
Starting from scratch😄
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 8:16pm
Patrick / Deanna 

Oft times an equalizer will also incorporate a sway bar with it and the price shows.  You can get a sway bar for relatively cheap while a equalizer will set you back around 400 samolians.  R-pods come standard with electric brakes you just need to decide what kind of controller you want installed on your TV.  Do a little searching on the archives and you will find a wealth of info on equalizer hitches, friction bars, electric brake controllers.  Lots of options out there and a lot of different pod owners use different equipment due to the type of TV they are using or personal likes on a specific brand. 
When do you camp at Voyaguers in MN?  We have driven close to that on our way out west from Michigan when we take US 2.  How bad are the mosquitoes, black flies, gnats?
God's pod
'11 model 177
CampCat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 9:35pm
Jim /Diane
Thanks for the input. Seems obvious when u say it. Lol. I will surf the forums. I get ahead of myself some times.
As for the VNP. bugs r never to bad. After sunset for an hour or so there sketters are muddrkus. There is a window on black flys but I think the later in he year the better it is for bugs I usually go July or August.

Wooden frog is the best campground Imo. Several private ones and one small one on ash river. I've launched out of every ranger station. And camped on many many island. Pretty much need a boat to enjoy it. Only eight miles of road and some good hiking on main land but lots of interior hiking and historic points.

It's bigger water loaded with islands. It's similar to the BWCA without all the restrictions. Thus more boats and people. I love it. Kyaking is great there. 👍🏼😀
Patrick&Deanna,
Starting from scratch😄
 Post Reply Post Reply