R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: generator
    Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by StephenH

However, the High Pointe convection microwave states that 1500 Watts is the INPUT power

Startup surge for that may be 3000-4500 watts, which a 2000 watt generator can't handle.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
brentandjudy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 10:28pm
Hi guys, you are being so helpful in offering various criteria's for my issue. A friend is going to bring a meter to check the surge wattage. I also plan on another call to Generac tech. department to see if anything can be done about upping the surge watts.
I had some other input from another source who says that I should use this formula:
Multiply1500 watt's by 16.7 amps by 120 volt to obtain wattage needed to start up = 3006. If this is the case then the iX2000 producing 2200 at start up is not enough. Does that make sense ?
I will keep you posted and please keep sharing your thoughts.
Brent

Brent

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 10:32pm
Thanks Stephen, that also seems to tie in with the other formula I mention in my reply.
Brent
Brent
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 11:02pm
Running: 2000 Watts/120 Volts=16.7 Amperes

Surge: 2200 Watts/120 Volts=18.3 Amperes

I hope to have my R-Pod back this week, so I will be able to test it with my generator. In the mean time, check to see that there are not other things drawing significant AC power while you are trying to run the microwave. Specifically, switch the refrigerator to propane and make sure that the water heater is also off or on propane. The furnace and/or AC should not be running either. The lights would be an insignificant draw, but if your converter is also trying to charge your battery (or batteries), that would also be a significant current draw. If it (or they) is (are) already charged, then that should be minimal.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:04am
Let my join and emphasize checking for additional loads, in particular the water heater and converter. If you're testing the micro after the Pod has been sitting unused for a while the water heater may be running on electric and the converter may be charging the battery. The best way to ensure nothing but the micro is running on the generator is to turn off all circuit breakers except the one supplying the microwave. With all breakers off except the microwave the generator should run in it's low speed economy or flex power mode. Turn off the flex power switch and the generator should come up to full speed. Then turn on the micro and test for starting. If it starts you're good to go, but something else was drawing power. If it doesn't start something else is amiss. One caution: due to way FR wires some Pods the WH or fridge may be wired to the micro circuit breaker. If the generator will not run in flex power slow mode this may be the case and will require additional precautions. No one else has reported trouble starting a microwave with a 2000W generator.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 2:37pm
Thanks Charlie and Stephen, here is the latest. I checked again with Generac and the tech was also of the option that start up surge for a 1500W microwave  could need double or even triple watts. I then called Electric Generators Direct, the online store where I purchased the unit. Their Tech guy gave me the same story about double or even triple watts needed, so it appears I am stuck with what I have. He also confirmed that the convection oven which also requires 1500W, heats up slowly and therefore does not rely on a surge.
I really do appreciate a forum and participants that so readily contribute.
Thanks again,
Brent
Brent
Brent
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 4:21pm
Just checked my microwave, start up 350 watts foe 2or3 seconds then jumps 1375 then goes up and down between 1375 and 1345 watts.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 9:12am
marwayne, Thanks for the test results. Given this information, the Generac iX2000 should be able to run the microwave without problem. I'm waiting for a call to let me know whether our R-Pod is ready for us to go and bring it home. Once I get it here, I'll fire up the generator and try it myself. If it works, fine. If not, then on to step 2.

Step 2 is to unplug the microwave from its outlet and run an extension cord so I can plug the microwave directly to the generator instead of going through the R-Pod's wiring. If it works, then it would confirm that something else in the R-Pod is drawing too much current for it to operate.

One thing I am not sure of is that some of the functions of this oven use both the heating element convection part and microwave part. I am not sure what the power draw is when both magnetron and heating elements are operating. Would you test that also please?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 9:39am
Thanks Marwayne,
This info has me all fired up again to continue checking what is the problem. I assume yours is also a 1500W micro ? Based on your results i.e. not any significant surge and running about 1350W blows the techs theory of double or triple wattage at surge.
I am also going to try the idea of running an extension cable direct to the micro and will post my results.
Thanks guys,
Brent
Brent
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 9:44am
Good plan, running the extension cord to the micro. That eliminates everything else. As I understand it the convection + micro modes are either or. The heating element runs part time and the microwave magnetron runs part time, but never both at the same time. The total power requirement is never more than 1500W. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>