R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefilling Propane on the road?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refilling Propane on the road?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 6:48pm
the exchange tanks are only about filler to about 60%  -  a full tank will weight around 35 lbs 
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:00pm
I border on control freak, so I definitely want my own tanks. Looking on the net, some of the major propane distributors have some good online maps to refill places. I'll just have to set up a quick reference navigation log for each trip, I'm going to need to know which exits have restrooms anyhow...ain't middle age grand!
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:14pm
I removed the stock 20 lb and put  a like new 30 lb I bought from someone on Craigslist. I used it on 5 camp trips (16 days total) and 6 nights of those 15 nights I used the furnace, until I got my MrBuddy Heater. Including the fridge and showers and also using my Q Grill with a Y-Adapter on the 30 pound tank, I ended up with about 3/4 used at the end of last year.

I think dual tanks might be much unless you are taking extended trips , long term camping, or using the furnace a lot, in which case the battery will be another issue because the furnace fans are battery eaters. The furnace can kill a battery in just a couple nights.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:48pm
OK, good to know. Sounds like there is no need for me to add a second tank this year. We are going to be going to the cottage in the colder weather this year, but that will be in very easy access to propane since it is a typically highly populated beach area. I will worry more about battery life during my learning curve.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the info osage.  Last time I got a Blue Rhino (and that was to upgrade my 10 yr. old tank) it weighed in at 75% full, that was in 2011.  Suppose that 5 years later you pay more and get less, just like at the store where containers like ice cream and most everything else gets smaller but the price either remains the same or goes up.

We carry 2 group size 24 batteries that are deep cycle marine batteries.  When we were in Glacier N.P. night temps were in the upper 30's to lower 40's so the furnace got used quite a bit.  We didn't change out our battery until well into the 4th night when the battery showed 1/3 charge left, that is as far as I take them down before switching to the other.  And beside that we were running hot water and the fridge on propane.  We still have those batteries by the way, beginning the 6th season with them, they get a good workout every year.  Glad we have 2 of them.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:19pm
Thanks for the info here. We are just about ready to purchase our Rpod and I was considering dual 20 lb tanks however I already own a new 30 lb tank.
I also own a Mr. Buddy heater but other than battery issues running the furnace, why would I want to run the Mr.Buddy? There is a fair amount of condensation that comes with running one of these.
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:33pm
I'm just running the heck of the furnace if necessary. If I get too cold my muscles cramp up....and I'm too lazy to run a secondary heater.  I can turn it way down at night though, I actually prefer sleeping in the cold once I am all covered up in blankets.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:02pm
Tank swaps can be a great convenience. I've never had a seller balk at letting me get a newer tank if they hand me one about to expire.  Those guys really don't give a hoot.  I generally prefer having my tanks refilled because it's almost always more economical, but I'm not going to drive 10 miles out of the way when I'm on vacation to make it happen and it seems kind of silly, to me, to get attached to a propane tank.

And I camp a lot in cold weather.  I've gone through 20 lbs of propane (or whatever is in a full tank) in 2 days.

The onboard furnace is LOUD, so I generally carry a Mr. Heater for some peace and quiet when we don't have hookups, which is most of the time.  Plus, if you do run out of propane for the furnace, you can still stay toasty.  And we use the Mr. Heater in the R-dome or the popup screen house.  (It makes a big difference.)

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Tank swaps can be a great convenience. I've never had a seller balk at letting me get a newer tank if they hand me one about to expire.  Those guys really don't give a hoot.  I generally prefer having my tanks refilled because it's almost always more economical, but I'm not going to drive 10 miles out of the way when I'm on vacation to make it happen and it seems kind of silly, to me, to get attached to a propane tank.And I camp a lot in cold weather.  I've gone through 20 lbs of propane (or whatever is in a full tank) in 2 days.The onboard furnace is LOUD, so I generally carry a Mr. Heater for some peace and quiet when we don't have hookups, which is most of the time.  Plus, if you do run out of propane for the furnace, you can still stay toasty.  And we use the Mr. Heater in the R-dome or the popup screen house.  (It makes a big difference.)TT

Good to know. I didn't know the on board furnace is loud? I have the smaller Mr. Buddy and have used it in a big tent and it is more than enough. We always turned it off when getting in the sleeping bags. This was in temperatures down in the teens at night.
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:43am
While the onboard furnace is not quiet, I would not say it is loud, nor that it isn't something you get used to. We ran ours on our trip in December/January and slept quite well. We set up a fan right next to the bed to circulate the heated air better because the vent blows straight out under the bed in the 179. That fan was a constant sound. We also run a white noise app on the phone, which also helps cover the furnace noise. After a night or two, I did not really notice the furnace and slept quite well.

I expect that the air conditioner will be similar. At first, it will seem noisy. After a night or two, it won't bother us as we will get used to it. We will probably continue to use the fan to circulate air. The AC will be used if we have power and the nights are hot and humid, and especially if it is raining also. If it is mild and dry, the windows and Fantastic Fan vent will probably be all that is needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>