R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefilling Propane on the road?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refilling Propane on the road?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Retroactive

The fridge runs on propane? MIND BLOWN... as an engineer now I am compelled to go look at how that works...  I just assumed the fridge worked on TEC unit like a lot of the wine chillers people have now.

I had to look it up too, and I'm an engineer (electrical). It's really more chemical and thermo engineering, but it's interesting how you have to put heat into the system to get even more heat out of it.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:32am
Originally posted by TheBum

[QUOTE=Retroactive]

I had to look it up too, and I'm an engineer (electrical). It's really more chemical and thermo engineering, but it's interesting how you have to put heat into the system to get even more heat out of it.

It's really interesting that they can get the chemical reaction to keep regenerating, on a flame that is apparently about the size of a pilot light. I knew they had full size units for people in remote areas, I just had no idea they could pull it off on such a small scale and without dedicated venting - but the heat and CO it gives off must be negatable. Does the 12v mode run the compressor, or does it have a TEC unit in it?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:37am
As long as you can keep the 12v system topped off, or are very miserly with it, your limiting factors off grid are water, (and holding tank size), then propane. You give up a/c and microwave. But the pod is usable minus those two things, for as long as you can keep up with the other 2..

Absorption fridges can and will work on any heat source. Amish here run them on diesel..
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:39pm
Having come from Hospital Facilities Engineering, I can tell you I have seen Absorbers (what we called them) up to 1000 tons of AC, powered by steam generated by boilers.

They do have a few issues that come with them. They tend to need a bit more maintenance and hands-on operating.

If you have the extra steam capacity, good natural gas rates, and high electrical rates you can usually show a significant savings running them.
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 1:14pm

[QUOTE=Retroactive]

It's really interesting that they can get the chemical reaction to keep regenerating, on a flame that is apparently about the size of a pilot light. I knew they had full size units for people in remote areas, I just had no idea they could pull it off on such a small scale and without dedicated venting - but the heat and CO it gives off must be negatable. Does the 12v mode run the compressor, or does it have a TEC unit in it?

The 12v mode is absorption also, same as the 110v mode. All three operate on the principle of heat to evaporate the ammonia which then is condensed and then evaporates again when it hits the hydrogen gas in the freezer section and refrigerator section. There is no TEC or compressor.

We found out that dual 6V batteries will be drained down overnight. It was not enough to kill them entirely, but enough so that the refrigerator started beeping. This was after about 5-6 hours. Running on propane, however, worked very well, and saved the batteries for more important use, such as running my CPAP machine.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:51pm
The fridge always uses a little 12 VDC battery power when running on propane only. It is for the electronic circuitry in the fridge/panel. Even though the fridge can run a LONG time on a 20 pounds of propane, the battery might be dead by then.

I don't know if anyone has tested the longevity of the battery for running the fridge on only propane. It would be interesting to see which gave out first, the propane or the battery.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:58pm
I always have the windows open a crack (not near the bed) when it's cold out and I have to run the MrBuddy. No worries about condensation or CO asphyxiation. When it's cold (<40°F), the humidity levels outside are very low anyway. Most condensation will come from breathing. 

Before I got the MrBuddy heater, I learned about condensation on my first cold night camping. A LOT of water on the rear window over the bed, and the mattress was wet on the edge too. I read up on the internet and learned I had to keep the windows cracked to prevent it. So now I slightly open the bathroom fan vent, and a windows near the front of the Pod. Plenty of covers, Merino wool socks, and a light Merino wool cap. Perfect. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:30pm

[QUOTE=Retroactive]

I knew they had full size units for people in remote areas, I just had no idea they could pull it off on such a small scale and without dedicated venting - but the heat and CO it gives off must be negatable. Does the 12v mode run the compressor, or does it have a TEC unit in it?

Your fridge should have a vent system for propane. I posted some pictures of mine a while back.

fidge/vent pics

The rooftop vent cover is long and low (compared to the AC shroud). The flue assembly can get quite warm when operating so, be careful when touching.

I like to periodically check this compartment for wasp nests, mud daubers, etc. Sometimes, they get in there and cause problems.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:44pm
Oh yes, we get all sort of nasty wasps and stuff that love to crawl into everything. They have a way of always showing up somewhere new.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:56pm
You probably know that they make screens for the openings to keep these critters out and some use them. My only concern is that I would forget to clean the screens and the units would malfunction due to a lack of air supply.

It's hell getting old but, fortunately, I don't remember most of the troubles that I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>