R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbathroom odor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: bathroom odor
    Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:01pm
OK so we have had our 2015 Rpod 179 for about 5 months, bought it used and we have never used the bathroom toilet for solid wastes- only an occasional need to relieve our bladders.  I've flushed the black tank prolly half a dozen times. The toilet appears to be functioning perfectly- holding about 1/2"-1" of flush water in the bottom when flushed- indicating a good tight seal.
       The problem is there is a #2 odor that we smell sometimes when entering the bathroom- and we can't seem to figure where it comes from.  We have put a small amount of bleach down the toilet to no avail. Anybody got any ideas for a simple fix for this?  RoadToad
2015 RP179
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:13pm
RoadToad

Does your blackwater flush system work ok? The reason I ask is some valves were install backwards and if that is the case you would get order from under the sink. 
RoadToad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:17pm
No odor from under sink....When I flush the blackwater tank blows water out the drain so I think that's working right.  Our fantastic fan was blowing BACKWARDS when we bought it- blowing air from outside into the bathroom.  We had to switch the wires on the switch to correct that one.     RT
2015 RP179
Up the Pitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 1:37am
We have exactly the same issue with our 2015 R-Pod 179 - an occasional odour in the bathroom. And like the OP, we have only ever used the bathroom for urine (and we bought ours new, so we know no-one else used it for solid waste, either).  I raised this issue during a recent visit to the dealership, and they said it's probably a smell from the grey water tank (which we certainly have used, for maybe a total of 2.5 weeks' dishwashing - no showers yet). I guess the grey water tank can get a bit funky, and the smell can waft up through the bathroom?  Not sure how ...
Traveling with Len (the fella) and Ted (the cat)
2016 RP 179 - 2010 Nissan Frontier (6-cyl)
http://www.upthepitt.com
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:29pm
I treat both tanks, black and gray.  We don't use the sink in the bathroom much but you always want to make sure you have water in the p-trap under the sink. I winterize my 179 with air but I always make sure to have fluid in the p-traps with rv antifreeze.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 2:37pm
make sure there is water in the P trap of the shower. They dry out/evaporate after a while if you don't shower in them, or over the winter etc..
dmcglannan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 4:10pm
We are considering getting a 171 R-pod but I am concerned about the questions being raised about solid waste odor.  For us one of the reasons for moving from a tent to an RV is to have a bathroom. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by dmcglannan

We are considering getting a 171 R-pod but I am concerned about the questions being raised about solid waste odor.  For us one of the reasons for moving from a tent to an RV is to have a bathroom. 

Any restroom, mobile or otherwise can stink. Just like socks. Clean and maintain. No issues. Just like home. If bathroom odor was a real problem, there would be about 8 million less RV's on the road.
dmcglannan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 5:07pm
Thanks.  I did talk to my husband who had a sailboat so he knows the hazards.  Since we are considering the 171, i just wanted to ask. 
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by RoadToad

We have put a small amount of bleach down the toilet to no avail. Anybody got any ideas for a simple fix for this?  RoadToad

I have read a few articles stating that you should never dump chlorine in the black tank.  It kills all the beneficial bacteria that breaks down the waste.  So essentially you could be compounding the problem and making it worse by dumping bleach down the toilet.  

I would dump your black water tank and give it a very thorough flushing.  Then only use the chemicals made specifically for black water tanks.  They contain enzymes and bacteria to break down the waste properly.  Thats all I ever use and so far never have any issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>