R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Reddening interior lights for astronomy outings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReddening interior lights for astronomy outings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reddening interior lights for astronomy outings?
    Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 8:23pm
Couple inches are on the ground here and snowing hard, straight down, currently. We have had virtually no snow all winter.  Ice fishing season was a non event.  My horses and mules are under their three sided shelter tonight wondering what that white stuff is, high winds and snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow.  Rpod cover can take 60 mph winds when parked next to the house.  And it does blow that hard here once in a while.  Chinooks.  Very dry winter here, we are supposed to get up to  a foot of snow with high winds tomorrow, which is pretty common in the spring around here.  I hope it happens.  Very low snow pack in Yellowstone and the mountains.  Gas is cheap.  I expect to see a LOT of tourists here once the park opens.  Yesterday I saw my first Yall Mart camper tourist in a pickup camper, so they are coming.  Luckily I live out of town in the country so the tourists don't bother me too much.  
alan7170 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:50pm
From one Alan to another...

I am an amateur astronomer and about half the use of my Rpod is for dark sky trips with friends. 

Originally I purchased some rubylith film (Google it) and taped it to the light cover...I should mention I have a 177 and only made one fixture red.  Anyway, I eventually took the film off and installed a red bulb that I purchased at oreilly auto parts.  Works great!  Even though it is not an led like my other lights, I really don't have it on that long so don't worry about the power draw...usually just long enough to make some tea, use the restroom and head back out to the telescope.

I am in Arizona...where do you go for dark skies?

Alan 
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 8:51am
Many years spent on the bridges of ships at sea (and submarine sails!) make me a fan of red goggles for the use you're describing.  Try finding ski or sport goggles with red lenses, wear them for about 45 minutes before astronomy and generally keep the light level inside your pod low.  However DON'T drive to your stargazing site with the goggles in place -- they really reduce ambient light levels.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 9:50am
How about a red flash lite or a red head mounted light?
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 10:15am
Hello Alan(s), I too am an amateur astronomer who frequently camps at dark sky locations. I have replaced the porch light with a red LED but, it is still pretty bright. I plan to get another red LED to replace one of interior bulbs. Just bought a used 20" Obsession and I dabble a little with astrophotography. I frequently meet a buddy from Oklahoma City at Black Mesa SP in the OK Panhandle. I also use a red headlamp.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:01pm
I have an 8" Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain. I live in Dallas, so I have to get out of town a long way to get past the light pollution. The Texas Astronomical Society has a dark sky site in Atoka, OK, which is about a 90-minute drive north.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 8:11pm
how about anticipating your gaze approx 45 minutes ahead of time and turn all the pod lights off?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by hogone

how about anticipating your gaze approx 45 minutes ahead of time and turn all the pod lights off?  hogone

I'd still need light to see to find the bathroom. Even though they're called "dark sky" sites, stellar light is actually quite strong once your eyes adjust to it. In a trailer, especially in the bathroom, that illumination is gone.
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 1:31pm
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm
How about something like this:

It has a red light "night vision" feature.  May be a better option than permanently coloring your lenses in the pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>