R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTapping into the Control Panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapping into the Control Panel
    Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 12:52pm
I have a 2015 178.

I've already tapped a 12v socket into the Control Panel. No problem, works well.

I'm now considering an inverter. I can't remember, but is there another open spot for it on the control panel and bus bar?   I'd like to do this the right way vrs. plugging it into the 12v socket I've got.

It's an 800 watt inverter. I don't expect to use it often. Probably only for limited off the grid nights to run a coffee grinder or blender. Starting to think however that to run 800 watts on 12V is a large load. Would this not require a 50 amp or better fuse? And is an inverter of this size too big?

If I were to use it for the television, which would only be limited and broadcast TV, would I get reception without also tapping the antenna amplifier into it, or is that 12v?

Thanks
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 2:10pm
Even though it's rated at 800W, you can use it at any wattage up to that. You can limit the wattage you use with a smaller fuse. I connected my 12V socket and 400W inverter on the same circuit and used a 40A fuse. My 179 has another open slot, I believe, but I didn't want to mess with running another cable from the fuse/breaker box.

The antenna amp is 12V, so you only need to worry about power to the TV. The 19" Jensen is rated at 17W, so you won't have any trouble powering it.
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 2:58pm
Thanks. I always tend to over engineer things.

I didn't find any difficulty with running the other line to the control panel. I think running the wire down from my hole was the hardest part.

Thanks again.

GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:13pm
Related question. I put in a double unit, one with two USB inputs and one 12v input. What size fuse should I have used for each? I will be using a 200w inverter to run the TV. 
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:34pm

That would depend on the "load".

Amps = watts divided volts

Using the above 800 watts example:

800 watts divided by 120 volts = 6.7 amps

800 watts divided by 12 volts = 67 amps

Just guessing, your 200 watt inverter will withstand a brief 300 watt surge/on. My 19" LCD TV uses 55 watts. At 120 volts, it draws about
.45 amps. At 12 volts, it draws about 5 amps (inverters are not 100% efficient so, I rounded up). So, since watching "GUNSMOKE" for one hour each day is mandatory viewing, if done on 12 volts, thru the inverter, 5 amp/hours are used from the batteries.

If you add up the total "load", that will tell. My guess would be somewhere around a 10 amp fuse would handle all. (Unless you have a REALLY BIG TV.)

(a watt is a watt, no matter what. Reduce the voltage by a factor of 10 and the amperage will increase by a factor of 10)

Disclaimer: Always make sure your wire is sized correctly. Too small of wire with too big of a fuse can be a fire hazard.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:34pm
Thanks. I went with 10 when I did the install figuring that smaller is safer. I haven't used it yet, so if I run into a blow out I might feel safe going up to 15. I just didn't know if 10 was way too small.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:10pm
I used 8 gauge to my inverter and then 12 from the inverter to my DC outlet and USB (which are in the immediate area of the inverter). The panel isn't designed for anything over about 10, so I had to trim off some bulk to get the wire into the terminal. I figure that a few millimeters of slightly reduced cross-sectional area isn't going to hurt anything.

I actually have 4 USB charging ports built in now: two fed from 12V DC, and two on the AC outlet I used for the inverter.
 Post Reply Post Reply