R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDewinterize Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dewinterize Question
    Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
I've been reading the r-pod manual thread on de-winterization - http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723&PID=14734&title=creating-an-instruction-maintanence-manual#14734 I just bought a used pod, and they flushed the antifreeze, but did not sanitize, so I thought I'd just follow the instructions as if I were completely de-winterizing.  What I'm confused on, is it seems like you need to have certain valves in a  a certain position (winter mode?) prior to beginning, but this part isn't elaborated on. I think the purpose is you're avoiding running bleach through the hot water heater?  I have a 178 if that matters. 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by PodDude

I've been reading the r-pod manual thread on de-winterization - http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723&PID=14734&title=creating-an-instruction-maintanence-manual#14734 I just bought a used pod, and they flushed the antifreeze, but did not sanitize, so I thought I'd just follow the instructions as if I were completely de-winterizing.  What I'm confused on, is it seems like you need to have certain valves in a  a certain position (winter mode?) prior to beginning, but this part isn't elaborated on. I think the purpose is you're avoiding running bleach through the hot water heater?  I have a 178 if that matters. 

Full disclosure: We don't winterize here in FL, and if I did, I'd clear it with an air compressor. That said, the reason for putting the valves in the "winter or bypass" position is to keep pink antifreeze from filling the water heater. Draining the WH protects it from freezing. For sanitization I see nothing wrong with allowing bleach to run through the WH. In fact I recommend it because stuff can grow in the WH and it's associated piping at an accelerated rate due to the heat. True, high heat kills some germs, but other germs and mold like a nice cozy environment. Just be sure to flush out the bleach thoroughly from all hot and cold piping. Each season I add bleach to the fresh water tank, allow it to run through the pump and cold water pipes, and let it sit for a day. Then I pump the FW tank empty through the HW piping and water heater, and let it sit another day. Then flush everything with plenty of fresh water, including the WH and FW tank. This disinfects both hot and cold water systems.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
PodDude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 10:23pm
Thanks a lot, that's what I'll try to do this weekend then. I see you have a supercharged tacoma listed in your signature, that must be fun! Have heard of supercharged Tundra V8s but never a 4L
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 8:18am
Originally posted by PodDude

I see you have a supercharged tacoma listed in your signature, that must be fun! Have heard of supercharged Tundra V8s but never a 4L

The Taco's entire life is towing the camper, except for a trip to the hardware store every other week. I added the SC to combat loss of performance at altitude. We travel a lot in the Colorado Rockies. I wanted a V8 but not a full sized pickup. The SC Tacoma was the best alternative. It works!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:15pm
Getting the bleach-water into the WH won't hurt it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply