R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Panels for boondocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Panels for boondocking
    Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 1:13pm
I am about to by my first R Pod 179. We are new to RVing, have always been tent and backpack campers. One of our first trips will be to the Southwest and not having elec hookups is concerning. I am looking to use solar panels. How big a panel will I need? How long will it take to charge the batteries? Will I be able to operate items in the rv while it is charging? Should I add another battery?
A lot of questions I know but I haven't even started yet.

P and D
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 1:40pm
Welcome. How long will you be off-grid for each trip? How many of those trips each year will you take. Will you be camping on-grid more often? Will you require the use of your A/C? The answers will dictate the answers to your questions.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
You're likely going to want AC in the SW and solar panels will not cut it. If you'll be off the grid most of the time, you may want to invest in a generator instead. Yes, they're noisier than solar, but you can get enough power to run the AC or anything else you could run on grid power, as well as charge the battery. Fortunately, nights in the SW aren't bad, so you could probably shut off the generator at night.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 4:58pm
I am a great fan of solar power.  Go to the files section of this group to see a detailed description of our solar installation.  I think it is titled "Panel Instal.doc"  You can't produce or store enough power to run the A/C, but we don't use it so that is not a problem.  We run lights, fan, a freezer and assorted electronics on DC and use a small inverter for small appliances like a coffee grinder.  e have 2 140 watt panels and charge 2 6V golf cart batteries.
P and D Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 11:07pm
Picked up the 179 today and can't wait to get on the road. First trip will be GA to Colorado to the Dakotas to Michigan and home. Most of the time in National Parks or off grid. We will only be spending at the most 2 nights and 1 day before traveling on. I had the dealer set me up with 2 6v batteries so I will be able to see how they last. I have been looking into Zamp panels and they recommend a 160 watt set up. If we go into the SW it will probably be mid spring or fall to avoid the worst heat and hopefully will not need AC. I plan to install a 12 volt outlet soon and use a converter for small appliances.
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by P and D Podders

Picked up the 179 today and can't wait to get on the road. First trip will be GA to Colorado to the Dakotas to Michigan and home. Most of the time in National Parks or off grid. We will only be spending at the most 2 nights and 1 day before traveling on. I had the dealer set me up with 2 6v batteries so I will be able to see how they last. I have been looking into Zamp panels and they recommend a 160 watt set up. If we go into the SW it will probably be mid spring or fall to avoid the worst heat and hopefully will not need AC. I plan to install a 12 volt outlet soon and use a converter for small appliances.

ZAMP products are extremely overpriced for what you get, in my opinion.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
IdahoBoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 7:39pm
Zamp panels are pricey. What brands are good but affordable?

GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 8:02pm
I bought the Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase. Complete kit for $265 on Amazon. Haven't tried it yet, though.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by IdahoBoy

Zamp panels are pricey. What brands are good but affordable?

It depends on how much you want to do yourself.  Zamp and Renogy are plug and play.  Both are relatively expensive compared to build it yourself systems.  I have 2 140 watt panels (each about $230) plus a charge controller ($90 and up depending on type and amperage, but some as low as $40).  If you want a portable unit, it is possible to find smaller panels that you can join together with hinges.  A 100 watt panel would cost about $120.  Add the cost of a controller, a bit of wiring and hardware.  You could put together a 200 watt "suitcase" for less than $400.  Of course, you'd have to do all the work.  It's not hard but it's not plug and play.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:50am
I have a Renogy 100w suitcase and it served me well while I had my OEM group 24 battery that came with my TT (going to post on Craigslist in the DC/MD/NOVA area real soon).
That said, I am 100 % off the grid when out, and have replaced my single 24 with two 6v golf cart batteries. I purchased two 100w panels on sale, MC4 cables and connectors, and a controller hoping this will keep my batteries nicely charged.
I was planning on installing on the roof, but I think I will mount on a tripod and make it portable instead. Ill post my pictures as soon as I assemble it all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>