R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome Black Tank Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Black Tank Question
    Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 5:45pm
Hello all,
          This will be my first timew every going camping in a trailer.  So sorry for the newb questions but
      Seeing the the person who did they walk through with us on our 183g was pretty much useless (Walk through person:  "Add some water to the tank" me "how much", person "some"

So 30 gallon black tank, how much water do you add before use.  So I am heading out for camping do I add 1, 2, 3 gallons plus one of those tablets for waste (cause I assume you don't start with the tank dry) 
    And I also figure when I go to drain it  (I have to drain it every time as that is the rules at my storage facility)  So even though I have the black tank flush valve I am assuming I should still fill it 2/3 of the way then drain. So can I fill the tank with the flush valve or should I pour water in the toilet with a hose or if I have any water left in the fresh tank use that?
    And after I drain the tank and rinse it out can I store it empty, or should I add some fresh water and another table thing when the trailer is sitting doing nothing.

I think that is all.  So thanks for any help on this.
M0tl3y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Hunter74

So 30 gallon black tank, how much water do you add before use.  So I am heading out for camping do I add 1, 2, 3 gallons plus one of those tablets for waste (cause I assume you don't start with the tank dry) 

You'll get a lot of answers, with a lot of options, and they're all probably right. Google and read several websites on black-tank treatments/care/maintenance/tips. Research will help you decide what's right for you. But I'll give you my 2 cents as well.

We typically put a couple of toilet-bowl-fulls down the tank, so that's probably 3 gallons-ish, and I use a mixture of laundry detergent and water softener, not those green/orange/blue tabs. Just my preference, I'm no more right on this answer than the people who always use the tabs.

And I also figure when I go to drain it  (I have to drain it every time as that is the rules at my storage facility)  So even though I have the black tank flush valve I am assuming I should still fill it 2/3 of the way then drain. So can I fill the tank with the flush valve or should I pour water in the toilet with a hose or if I have any water left in the fresh tank use that? 

You can flush it anyway that suits you, either using the outside valve, flushing-and-pumping through your clean water tank, stick a hose down the toilet, or all three. The one best advice I'll give you is what was given to me: use lots and lots of water. If you're the only one at the dump station, take your time and flush well. I'll sometimes fill my black tank full of water 3 or 4 times (if no one is waiting) and drain. 

Using this method I've never had a problem with my sensor and very little odor. I've got my own drain at home and I'll put a hose on the black-tank-flush and also use the Valterra Sewer Solution and let both run the whole time were cleaning out the r-pod, which can be 30 minutes of straight flushing. But that's just me, I like to rinse. Remember this phrase: The Solution to Pollution is Dilution. 

And after I drain the tank and rinse it out can I store it empty, or should I add some fresh water and another table thing when the trailer is sitting doing nothing.

You can store it empty, but realistically you'll never be able to get it empty no matter how hard you try. So it's usually best to put a bit of water in there with your additive of personal choice.
The 178 club
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:45pm
Yes, put 2-3 full toilet bowls full of water down there, along with treatment of some type, after dumping.  Do not leave it empty or any remaining waste can solidify and cause problems.  Yes, make sure the black tank is 2/3 full before dumping even if it means adding water.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hunter74 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:48am
Awesome, thanks for the answers guys.   This forum is awesome. Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply