R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery life
    Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

Regarding the refrigerator's use of electricity, it does draw about 1-1.5 amps (12-18 watts) of current to run the circuit board even when you're cooling it with propane.  With a regular marine battery (88 amp hours or so), this and the smoke and propane detectors (about another 1 amp) will draw your battery down to 50%, which you don't want to go below unless you really need to, in less than one full day.  That's why so many people who boondock with them either invest in a solar panel(s) or a generator to recharge the battery.

I would strongly urge you to get two golf cart batteries rather than a single marine or deep cycle battery.  Two regular golf cart batteries will have nearly double the capacity of a marine battery, and they can withstand more punishment as well.

These numbers seem very high. See JandL's posts above. That said, I concur with the two GC2 recommendation. The common dealer supplied Gp24 battery is ~80AH vs 220AH for the two golfers. A no brainer for me.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by CharlieM

These numbers seem very high. See JandL's posts above. That said, I concur with the two GC2 recommendation. The common dealer supplied Gp24 battery is ~80AH vs 220AH for the two golfers. A no brainer for me.

Are you saying that these items draw less power?  I can't find now information from someone who has actually measured it, but it's definitely more than 3-4 watts.  On another RV we rented, running the fridge and detectors alone would drain our marine battery completely in less than two days.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:52am
JandL provides the best measured data recently. I no longer have my RPOd, but his numbers are consistent with my memory and my measurements on my current trailer. If your previous rented trailer had a two door fridge with the freezer it probably had the built in frame heater. That alone is a constant 0.5A=12AH per day.

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7955&KW=TYPICAL+BATTERY+RUN+TIMES&PID=75222&title=typical-battery-run-times#75222
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:54pm
When my refrigerator is running on propane, I wanted to find out what the quiescent current (parasitic battery drain) is for the circuit board that controls the fridge and that measured 98mA. I have not been able to measure the fans with my meters yet because by the time I hear them and hook up the meters the fans shut off. The manufactures specification on the fan is 320 mA (.32 amps). There is a valve for turning on and off the propane and I haven’t measured that yet, but in looking at other low pressure DC solenoid propane valves it’s probably between 500mA-750mA. It does not run all the time so I will have to get my meters in place the next time I turn on the refrigerator and confirm all my measurements.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:37pm
Welcome.  For a weekend the standard 12 volt deep cycle battery will be enough - but just enough.  If you will be going for longer periods then go with the dual golf cart batts as others have suggested.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12