R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransporting Generator and Gas - Event Date: 06 Jun 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Transporting Generator and Gas
    Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:19pm
My wife and I were discussing generators for our pod.  We have the 178 and our TV is an SUV (Ford Explorer).  How do you transport in particular the gasoline for your generator?  In the trailer, outside on a separate rack, in your TV if an SUV?  I haven't seen much discussion on this for those of us with an enclosed TV.  Any insight would be much appreciated.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Shelpod

My wife and I were discussing generators for our pod.  We have the 178 and our TV is an SUV (Ford Explorer).  How do you transport in particular the gasoline for your generator?  In the trailer, outside on a separate rack, in your TV if an SUV?  I haven't seen much discussion on this for those of us with an enclosed TV.  Any insight would be much appreciated.

We're actually gearing up for a month long trip in our Pod to Oregon and California.  We should be at Lake Tahoe this weekend. Big smile

I keep a 5 gallon plastic gas can, the kind you find everywhere, in the back of our TV, a 2005 GMC Envoy XL, right next to our generator, a Yamaha 2400 iSHC.  These cans should be sealed up very tightly and are designed to keep the light ends (i.e. gasoline vapors) in the gasoline where they belong.  We have high seats between the can and us, so I'm not concerned about the can becoming a projectile in the event of a collision.

I absolutely despise the 'new' filler-caps they put on gas cans now, so I just siphon the gasoline from the can directly into the fuel tank of the generator.  I made a siphon from about 8 feet of 3/8" fuel line from Napa and a 3/8" siphon bulb.  This is far more durable than the little red siphons they sell at AutoZone and the like; I've heard nothing good about those.

If you store the gasoline on the Pod, it must be secured in such a way as to prevent theft, a process that can be very difficult as someone might be able to just siphon the gas out of the container.  If you used a marine-type fuel tank, which typically has a low profile, you could store it in the Pod's exterior storage unit quite safely and away from would-be thieves.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
Please be aware that some states, perhaps all, have rules concerning the transport of gasoline. You should start there. Gasoline should never be carried in a confined space such as your RPod cubby holes, the interior of your TV or (this one is important) exterior anywhere above the window line of either TV or RPOD.

Securing it against thieves is another matter. Use your imagination on that - chains, cable, etc.

Ken

"He not busy being born is busy dying."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:48pm
We put our generators and gas can in the our Pod and cover them with a piece of water-resistant cloth to absorb any fumes that might arise from them. So far, it has worked fine.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by cosmo751

Please be aware that some states, perhaps all, have rules concerning the transport of gasoline. You should start there. Gasoline should never be carried in a confined space such as your RPod cubby holes, the interior of your TV or (this one is important) exterior anywhere above the window line of either TV or RPOD.

If you can't keep a gas can inside your TV, then how on earth are you supposed to fill up the gas can in the first place?  Strap it on top of the vehicle?

Regulations state that gasoline must be transported in DOT approved containers, but I've not seen any regulations that prohibit you from carrying gas cans in a travel trailer or a TV.  Granted, keeping it outside would be optimal, but I just don't see a way to effectively keep thieves away.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm
I installed a Stromberg-Carlson rack to carry our generator. I was planning on carrying a gas can there as well as gasoline is the last thing I want to have inside our TV or R-Pod. It will be above the window line of the car, but it will be secured, probably in a ventilated box. I haven't quite got that part figured out yet.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 4:26pm
Thanks for the input everyone.  I like the idea of the rack on the tongue but I am not sure about adding the additional weight there.  Not so sure I would want the extra gas can up that high as the Stromberg-Carlson rack but I know I don't want to carry it in my vehicle.  We have two dogs (Shelties) that travel with us and I wouldn't want them to be near the gas can or generator.  The pod doesn't have any vented storage so outside seems the best idea, just finding the right combo is difficult.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 5:42pm
Like WillThrill, we carry our Yamaha 2400 iSHC in the back of our TV usually full of fuel. Have for tens of thousands of miles. Have never smelled a thing. It sips fuel so even though I carry a 2.5 gallon plastic jug, I've never put fuel in it. We just don't run the jenny that much, but I like having it.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I installed a Stromberg-Carlson rack to carry our generator. I was planning on carrying a gas can there as well as gasoline is the last thing I want to have inside our TV or R-Pod. It will be above the window line of the car, but it will be secured, probably in a ventilated box. I haven't quite got that part figured out yet.

I bought one of those before I realized that I'd exceed the tongue weight of my TV with just the shelf, let alone something on it. Then I piddled around and didn't get it returned (including not calling after two emails to eTrailer.com went unanswered). I need to put it on Craig's List unless there are some interested Podders in the DFW area.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:15pm
I wanted to keep the vibrations and noise away from the pod, and not have to move it before starting it (lunch stops and truck stops on month-long trips). So this is my solution:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3689
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply