R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp for tall guy - Event Date: 11 Jun 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Help for tall guy
    Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 9:35pm
l love the r-pod but I am 6'3" tall and can not lay in any of the models I have tried. Is there a model or mod that I can use? Cry
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 9:49pm
Probably not unless to do some type of modifications to one. The standard bed for the pods is a short queen 74"by 60".
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 8:43pm
Look at the models with larger beds, and lay diagonally.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Westgl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
I have a 179

I am going to use a piece of plywood that I will push under the mattress during the day, then at night pull out, for my legs and lay with my head and feet going length wise of the rpod.

I will use large Pillow for feet or a cushion.

I will mod the Dinette as I don't like the angled cushions and use Large Pillows for the dinettes seat back to take better advantage of the dinette area and provide more comfort.

Wife is 4'11" so she will fit no problem.

I will use a second piece of plywood under the seat cushions on the dinette pull it out when converting it to a bed for guests.

2010 RAV4 V6
2017 RPOD 179 Hood River Edition
Dual 6 volt Batts
Dual propane Tanks
Batt Disconnect
Bed leg extension
Dinette modification
Renogy 100w solar
Motorcycles several currently
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 4:35pm
You are either going to have to sleep diagonal, or make an extension of some sort.  I am 5'10" and don't understand how back sleepers in my height range can do it. I am a side sleeper so 90% of the time the 6' limit is not a problem, except for the several times a night my body suddenly wants to stretch out...BOOM! my hands and feet slam into the sides of the pod! We keep our dinette as a bed, so if I am having a restless night I sleep out there diagonal allowing my feet to go off the edge if I stretch. I am really surprised there are not more threads about this space issue...BOOM...ouch...
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 6:20pm
I am 6'5" and I end up sleeping diagonally on the bed in the back (model 178) and my wife beds down on the dinette area with an extra pad on top. If I sleep on my side I can curl up on half of the bed but some times i just have to straighten my legs out.  It works for the two of us but making up the dinette each night can be a bit of a pain. One of the dogs ends up on my bed since I have a corner open.  The other gets to sleep on the floor and prefers it.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:42pm
Westgl,  we had the same problem with that dinette bed on our 179.  Our changes are described elsewhere in the forum, but I'll summarize here. 

Using five different cushions with a table whose height didn't match the rest of the bed was a nightmare (!) for us.  We ordered a cover that was a fabric match for the main seat cushion and then went to a local foam shop, who stuffed the foam into the cover for us.  It's not as easy as I had expected. I had some aluminum channel which I attached to the bottom of the slide with Gorilla glue and they help guide the plywood in and out, without scratching the walls.  I considered using a piano hinge instead of sliding the plywood, but didn't want to compromise anything.

The new cushion becomes the back cushion and we were able to dump the goofy corner cushions, the old back cushion and the long spacer cushion.  And that table.  We got some collapsing TV tables which store on the floor when not needed, saving several pounds. 

I'll admit that our view out the side window is partly obscured by the larger cushion, but not by enough to give us any second thoughts. 
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
jglynn55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 7:54am
My wife is 4'10" and I am 5' 8". I put the small cushion from the dinette on top of the other small cushion so that they are the same height as the bed. I place a towel over the cushion for a sheet and sleep along the window side with my feet stretched out over the cushions. My wife sleeps along the other window side. It then gives me the freedom to stretch out if I want to. It also makes it easier to get out of bed, instead of crawling over my wife to get to the bathroom.
 Post Reply Post Reply