R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLocking Lid for Freshwater tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Locking Lid for Freshwater tank
    Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 8:29am
PodDude, as I thought, there are plastic covers available that should meet that security need.  I just wanted to be sure you didn't need a "Fort Knox" solution.  Here are a couple of links:

http://www.rvplus.com/jr-products-hatch-water-locking-p-wht-a6112-a.html?gclid=CM2U2uy-0swCFQIOaQodg6IJOA

http://tweetys.com/valterra-a01-2002bkvp-fresh-water-inlet---lockable-gravity-hatch---black.aspx

To avoid cutting a hole in the wall, you might be able to cut off these doors everything except the cover and shim it out (to whatever extent needed) so there is no interference.

Also, one of the things I did on OurPod was replace all hatch cylinder locks with ones whose key matched my door key.  This avoids the possibility that everyone and their brother has your common hatch key on their chain.  See the products at:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global-Link-and-Fastec-FIC-Brand-RV-Locks-and-Keys/Security-upgrades/CLB-Cam-Lock-Barrel

Hope this helps!
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
PodDude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Q7-retired

To avoid cutting a hole in the wall, you might be able to cut off these doors everything except the cover and shim it out (to whatever extent needed) so there is no interference.

Now that's a great idea.  Like David mentioned, it would be great to find one already like that that you didn't have to retrofit.

Also, one of the things I did on OurPod was replace all hatch cylinder locks with ones whose key matched my door key.  This avoids the possibility that everyone and their brother has your common hatch key on their chain.  See the products at:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global-Link-and-Fastec-FIC-Brand-RV-Locks-and-Keys/Security-upgrades/CLB-Cam-Lock-Barrel

Great idea as well. I was wondering how universal the door key is. I broke mine and just called FR with the numbers on the key and they sent it out. I wonder how many rpods have the same number, I think it was only 3 or 4 digits.

Hope this helps!

Yes sir - thanks very much!

sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 12:46pm
A simple solution to the problem would be to take a piece of aluminum bar stock about 5 inches long, maybe one inch wide.  Drill a hole in each end.  Remove one of the screws that holds the fresh water fill fitting to the pod and attach the aluminum bar at that point, using the screw you removed or one a bit longer.  You would have to drill a hole on the opposite side of the fitting and supply a screw to attach the other end of the aluminum bar.  This would cover the fill cap.  True, it's not a lock, but it makes access to the fill cap more difficult.  An alternative might be to install a hasp that covers the fill cap.  It could be locked with a small padlock
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 9:53pm
50 combinations for the door lock.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12