R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBicycle Rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bicycle Rack
    Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:35pm
I have seen in bike rack material that I am using a bicycle rack with the hitch receiver on the back of my RP178 by removing the spare tire. I did this with a Saris two bike rack on my recent 500 mile round trip with two adult bikes. What is the problem with doing this?  Why does the bike literature say not to mount the Saris Rack on the back of an RV? Any opinions or solid answers. My rig worked great.
2016 R Pod 178
2001 Ford F 150 Triton V8
Kayaks and old folks bicycles
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:32pm
The prevailing thought is the amount of combined weight of the rack and several bikes being cantilevered off of a 1 1/4" receiver will ultimately harm the frame. This may not occur with the first trip, or the second, but eventually metal fatigue will occur and crack the frame members.  when the bikes bounce up and down there is a lot of force on the hitch which is transferred to the frame.

Several people have used racks mounted above the propane tanks, racks mounted on the front of the tow vehicle, racks on the roof of the tow vehicle   or racks that are mounted on a dual shank to their hitch.

I had additional support beams welded to the frame, additional bracing welded and added a 2" receiver on the rear for my bikes.  I also added 2 cam straps which kept them from bouncing.  Look at my mods to see the details.
Vann 

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Band Leader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:38pm
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into reinforcing my hitch. Looks worth the effort and cash.

2016 R Pod 178
2001 Ford F 150 Triton V8
Kayaks and old folks bicycles
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:14am
Is there a reason to reinforce this area if you stick to a short arm, rear mtd., 2- bike carrier-similar to the Mfg.'s optional carrier?

Related spare tire move to front:
I'm in the process of moving my spare tire to the front tongue now.
FWIW, there's an economical, well built and especially great design!!!,  spare tire mount sold on ebay now. $22/free shipping.
 It comes unpainted as bare steel(to keep down costs) but is a better mount than any I've seen anywhere.
It will need deburring of the sharp stamping edges too, then primed & painted.
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 3:15pm
I now have my tire moved to front and a bike rack on the way. My two mountain bikes combined with a bike rack that weighs less than the original spare tire carrier should not overdo the back hitch beyond what was original.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 5:30pm
Glad  you got the tore moved and the bike rack ordered.  One other suggestion-get some type of quiet hitch  attachment.  this stops the bike rack from moving around so much in the receiver.  It's not just the weight factor involved.  the bikes move around which causes dynamic loadiing of the receiver and transfers to the frame.  The idea is to keep the entire rack/bikes as stable as possible.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 10:55am
My rear hitch 1.25"receiver came from the R-pod factory with a pinch bolt that has a stop nut on it. perhaps the older models lack this feature? I've hauled bikes most any way they can be hauled, except on a vehicle roof. The rack I bought will allow bikes to swing a bit as it's a hanger style rack. Placing bungees on bikes will avoid damage from the pendulum effect, otherwise I see little else to do.
I plan to haul a vespa in the back of my PU truck so bikes need a new home from my previous way of placing them in the truck bed and using a fork mounted clamp/lock style hauling arrangement on my T-rac's.
I'm thinking I'll sell the T-racs as I don't haul canoes much these days.

Post Reply Post Reply