R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar - Zamp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar - Zamp?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 10:06pm
Hi,
We have a 2016 179, recently purchased. We were under the impression that the PODS required you to use Zamp. But as we read solar posts, it appears you can use other manufacturers. We used Renogy portable solar panels 100w with our recently sold teardrop. The Renogy panels went to the buyers with the trailer.

We were very happy with these panels. They are also much less expensive than Zamp. If we buy the Renogy again, can we just plug it in and go? Or is there a required mod?

We have a 12v lead acid battery in the trailer.

Is 100w sufficient? We boondock a lot and really depend on solar.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 10:54pm
Certainly you may use any solar panels. I think the Zamp system was chosen by 
Forest River for whatever reason. Some of the later model pods have been pre wired for the Zamp system, but I am not very familiar with them. Apparently they are similar to the Renogy portable system and you can plug the Zamp panels directly into the pod power system in the pre-wired power inlet port.

I recently installed a Renogy suitcase 100watt system for our pod. I modified their system a little , but the standard system has battery clamps that attach directly to the panels. The charge controller is attached to the panels.

I expect that the panels will keep our batteries charged. We have 2 6 volt golf cart batteries and 230amp hours . We have learned to conserve power and hope to be able to last 6 days without moving our campsite. I posted an article about our system earlier this week in the pod mod section of the forum.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
bluecatjudy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:01am
I also installed Renogy 100 watt panel on my 179.  But, bought components separately so I could get the 30w adventurer controller.  I installed real it real "neat" in the cabinet as you go in the TT just above and to the right of the fire extinguisher.  It's neat because it fits flush and you see no wires and you can see the read out of the controller.  You can get the 2 pin plug for the zap port at automotive store but they are 12 gauge.  I found a 10 gauge one from Amazon for about $5.  I connected it to the Renogy cables.
I installed a 100 watt solar panel on my sailboat 6 years ago and never have used the battery charger since.
sailorman
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by birderdiane526

Hi,
We have a 2016 179, recently purchased. We were under the impression that the PODS required you to use Zamp. But as we read solar posts, it appears you can use other manufacturers. We used Renogy portable solar panels 100w with our recently sold teardrop. The Renogy panels went to the buyers with the trailer.

We were very happy with these panels. They are also much less expensive than Zamp. If we buy the Renogy again, can we just plug it in and go? Or is there a required mod?

We have a 12v lead acid battery in the trailer.

Is 100w sufficient? We boondock a lot and really depend on solar.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations.

Whether a single 100 watt panel is sufficient for you is greatly dependent on how much power you use in a day.

If we're talking about summer months, on a bright sunny day, you'll get about 5-6 mean solar hours of output from your panel if you keep it angled fairly well to the sun throughout the day.  That means 500-600 watt hours of power.  If that power is strictly be used to recharge your batteries, most of which will, you will lose 25% due to the heat created in the charging process.  That leaves you with 375-450 watt hours of power available to you in your battery (~30-38 amp hours in 12 volt terms).

Generally speaking, that's enough to run your Fantastic Fan for several hours each day, your electronic panel on your refrigerator, your propane detector, and your water pump for a fair amount of time (mine draws 7.5 amps when running).  I also charge our phones from our Pod's batteries, but this consumes too little power to even factor in.

I've noticed that the furnace draws quite a bit of power, especially when outside temps dip below 50F and we keep it about 70F inside.  I would estimate that on such nights (no day use), the furnace probably consumes 20 amp hours on its own.

So if you aren't running much more than that, a single 100 watt panel will probably work well for you assuming that you're getting a lot of sunny days.  Solar panels don't work well on cloudy days; their output can easily drop by 50-90%.  On rainy days, they're practically worthless.  For those times, you'll either need to run your generator to recharge your batteries or else get an inverter for your vehicle that can do the same thing (your vehicle must be running for this much of a load).  The latter option is far too often overlooked by folks.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 10:44am
I'd like to believe, perhaps I'm wrong but during the day the solar panel will fulfill the electrical needs of the Pod while keeping charging the battery.

Only when the panel's not producing enough power to meet the current demands of the Pod will the battery be depleted. At night when there's no sun the battery provides all the power. During the day the power not being consumed is directed to the battery to recharge it if necessary.

If that's wrong, someone please correct me.
SeanM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 11:52am
Does anyone have any idea if the existing Zamp port/wiring can be used with another system? I'm not sure what would be so special about their port that it would say not to use it with other panels. 

Edit: Just found a thread where they did this. Looks like it should work.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SeanM

Does anyone have any idea if the existing Zamp port/wiring can be used with another system? I'm not sure what would be so special about their port that it would say not to use it with other panels. 

Yes, the Renogy suitcase comes with Anderson Powerpole connectors, and you need SAE. It's an easy swap.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

I'd like to believe, perhaps I'm wrong but during the day the solar panel will fulfill the electrical needs of the Pod while keeping charging the battery.

Only when the panel's not producing enough power to meet the current demands of the Pod will the battery be depleted. At night when there's no sun the battery provides all the power. During the day the power not being consumed is directed to the battery to recharge it if necessary.

If that's wrong, someone please correct me.

You are 100% correct in that any power you don't immediately consume from your panels will go into your batteries.

Whether a 100 watt panel will fulfill your electrical needs depends on what you're running.

Originally posted by SeanM

Yes, I did this and started the thread you found.  The Zamp port is just a socket for a two wire universal connector.  You can find them at any automotive or RV store for a few bucks.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 10:41pm
All of this has been great info to receive. We appreciate your answers to the questions posed.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply