R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcutoff switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutoff switch
    Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:53pm
Thanks...good advice!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:46pm
Just get the single mode switch. It will be fine. The either/or/and switches are handy for marine use, but not really needed for RV's.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:14pm
The issue you run into with such switches is that lead acid batteries should not left off of a charger for an extended period of time, certainly no longer than a month.  To maximize their lifespan, they should always be left on a 'smart', computer controlled, 3 stage charger.  This can be done by either leaving your Pod connected to shore power when not in use so that the onboard charger will keep the batteries charged or by putting an external charger on the batteries while they are either still in the Pod or out of it.  I always take the batteries out when we aren't using the Pod and leave them on a Battery Minder #1500 charger.

Remember that lead acid batteries self-discharge 3-5% per month, and the more discharged the battery is, the more harm is being done to it every day.  Every day that a lead acid battery isn't on a charger is some amount of time off its lifespan.  By far the #1 killer of lead acid batteries is not being charged sufficient/properly.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 5:49pm
I'm thinking about having a cutoff switch installed so I don't have to disconnect the two batteries when I'm not using my r.pod 179. The guy I talked with about installing the switch said he can get one that would allow me to switch off one battery at a time or both batteries, or I could get a slightly less expensive one that would switch off both batteries. I can't think of a reason why I might want to switch off only one battery, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply