R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1-7/8" Socket for E2 Hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1-7/8" Socket for E2 Hitch?
    Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:35am
Are there any cost effective solutions, for a 1-7/8" Socket to fit the E2 Hitch? It looks like most sockets will not fit inside the hitch assy when putting on a new ball. I see equal-i-zer has a special thin wall one, but the price is about 3x that of an ordinary socket (and it is a completely different manufacturer than the E2). So has anyone found a cheaper socket that fits? And if not, does the equal-i-zer branded one fit the E2?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Retroactive

Are there any cost effective solutions, for a 1-7/8" Socket to fit the E2 Hitch? It looks like most sockets will not fit inside the hitch assy when putting on a new ball. I see equal-i-zer has a special thin wall one, but the price is about 3x that of an ordinary socket (and it is a completely different manufacturer than the E2). So has anyone found a cheaper socket that fits? And if not, does the equal-i-zer branded one fit the E2?

I'm not sure what you issue is. I replaced my 2" ball with a 2-5/16" with no trouble. The new ball has a 1-1/2" nut, but I had no trouble getting the old ball off. Plenty of room as shown on this pix. Maybe I'm misreading your post.

My E2 is several years old and it may be different than yours. In any case a good Sears Craftsman socket should work. Depending on the ball shank length you may need a deep socket.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:58am
HAH! Noob fail! The E2 instructions said 1-7/8" even though it is really 1-1/2" on both my 2" and the larger ball that came on the barely used E2 I got. I just assumed that 1-7/8" was the standard size.  Fix your manual Fastway!Tongue  I forgot that I have a second of machinists calipers here at home... Confused
stevei54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm
Is the ball an Equalizer 2 inch 1 1/4 shank or anothr ball?  Just checking in process of buy a hitch and was trying to make sure had right sockets for the ball.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:36pm
The E2 is available with several ball sizes. Standard is 2", but others are available. Match the ball size to your trailer coupler, then get the wrenches when you get it. Measure twice, buy once. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:53am
Step #3: run around for several hours trying to find a 1-1/2" somewhere, because that is the one size most stores are all sold out of now. Once I hit a third store and they were sold out, it dawned on me that every other idiot like me with a TT or hauler is scrambling to find the same socket before a big road trip. Of all places I found it in stock at Autozone, and it was by far the cheapest price.
 Post Reply Post Reply