R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic Fridge - Event Date: 14 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ronahue View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Dometic Fridge
    Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 8:34pm
We removed the freezer since it's to small anyway and we have no problem keeping a full fridge down to 37 degrees even in ninety degree weather. It will also cool from 70-80 degrees to below 40 in about 6 hours.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:31pm
to get ours to cool in hot weather 90+ we had to move the thermal couple to the left end of the fins on the back of the fridge to get the cooling fans to come on. also we have put one of the small d-size battery fans in the fridge  now it cools down to 40 or lower on a 90+ days
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 4:48pm
The only problem is that the fridge does not hold that much to begin with. But I will have to try it. What about taking the freezer door off till you get where you're going? Would that help? As I said in my original post the meat in the freezer stayed frozen.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by flat6s

Haven't done this yet, but here is what I want to try.
You know those blue things you stick in the freezer and they become a solid block of frozen whatever it is ?  Leave two of those in the freezer, then when you are ready to travel n the road, stick them in the fridge to help with the cooling.   Does anyone think that will help, or not?
Joe

Yes, those will help, but what would probably be even more useful is to freeze a lot of bottles of water, enough to at least half fill the refrigerator.  They will help to bring the temperature down, and when they melt, you will then have cool water to drink!
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:34am
I understand from some owners on other boards that this works well when temps are high:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2618VP-FridgeCool-Volt-Exhaust/dp/B002N5YDG2
Install video:
https://rv101.tv/2012/02/28/how-to-install-an-rv-refrigerator-vent-fan/

My fridge also does not get as cool when temps are high, but not so much that I need to do any mods.
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:17am
Haven't done this yet, but here is what I want to try.
You know those blue things you stick in the freezer and they become a solid block of frozen whatever it is ?  Leave two of those in the freezer, then when you are ready to travel n the road, stick them in the fridge to help with the cooling.   Does anyone think that will help, or not?
Joe
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:31pm
If it was mid-90s, it was probably well above 100 inside the pod. I also was noticing that the refrigerator was less effective on our last trip. On our first trip (winter), it worked great. This trip (summer), not so great. However, it still is better than an icebox, which also would have trouble keeping an even cold temperature and have everything end up soggy from melted ice.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 5:55pm
It did keep it at 60!!!
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 5:55pm
It was mid ninties that day and the pod was sealed up.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:49am
Originally posted by StephenH

If it cools while on propane while stationary, it should also cool effectively while moving. Others have commented that propane works better than 12V for cooling. However, at 100 degrees, and with the interior of the R-Pod probably significantly higher (if vents and windows are shut while moving), the cooling capacity may not be sufficient to overcome the heat moving into the refrigerator from the hot R-Pod interior.

+1

And the reason that the manual states that it's safer to drive with the refrigerator on 12 volt is due to lawyers, plain and simple.

The only documented case of a fire resulting from someone running their refrigerator on propane I have been able to find was five years ago, and the guy literally sprayed the refrigerator vent on the side of his camper with gasoline.  But even the local fire marshal wasn't convinced that the running propane was the cause of ignition.  So the odds of anything bad occurring are at least 100,000 to 1 and probably far less, given all the people with RVs on the road running their fridge on propane and the number of accidents.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>