R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes - Event Date: 14 Jul 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Brakes
    Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:52am
Ouch  Okay, on that 5000 mile trip I talked about in the Fridge topic the brakes pulse when you come to a final stop. I have an istop unit that is inertia driven and have tried numerous settings.
The directions say to turn it up to a setting that locks the brakes when you apply at 25mph. Never could get it to do that. Have it set on 9.5. The brakes are working but pilse on and off as you come to final stop.
Any thoughts?
Trying to get into General RV for that too.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
Oharley View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:08am
I have the same problem on my RP-179. We purchased it in May and since day one I haven't been able to get the brakes to lock even at the max setting. I'm using the Tekonsha P3 controller. I'd be interested to know what information this forum can provide as well.
RP 179
2016 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Jazz trumpet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 12:40pm
Does your controller have a boost setting? Mine has three settings no boost, boost and max boost
       John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 1:32pm
Mine has no boost and boost one and two.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Oharley

I have the same problem on my RP-179. We purchased it in May and since day one I haven't been able to get the brakes to lock even at the max setting. I'm using the Tekonsha P3 controller. I'd be interested to know what information this forum can provide as well.

I have a 2015 179 RPOD and a RAM 1500 like you (2016 model), but I have the factory controller.  Yet when mine is at max settings the wheels don't lock either.  However, when set at 7.5 or 8 it seems to work fine so I don't worry about it too much.  But I do wonder if there's something up with the trailer because I had the same situation with my previous truck, a 2011 Silverado with factory controller.  Never could get the trailer to lock.
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 12:09am
After getting my truck back today from the shop and told how much my front brakes are worn, I'm also going to be revisiting the brake controller settings (I have a prodigy RF).  I thought the dealer had told me that my 2016 179 brakes wouldn't ever lock even on the max settings.   I took his word for it but am thinking I may need to to do more experimenting.
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 8:06am
Originally posted by bjk

After getting my truck back today from the shop and told how much my front brakes are worn, I'm also going to be revisiting the brake controller settings (I have a prodigy RF).  I thought the dealer had told me that my 2016 179 brakes wouldn't ever lock even on the max settings.   I took his word for it but am thinking I may need to to do more experimenting.

Oh yes, the brakes will, and should lock way before the max setting. Mine would lock with my prodigy set at around 5.6; Brakes are brakes except for ABS.
I have read of issues with the built-in factory controllers some trucks come with are not as good, and some install a Prodigy or similar anyway.

The strange issue I have run into is that before any trip, I do the whole "run it to 25mph, lock up the brakes, then bring the setting down to right before it locks" (I have the Prodigy P2).
After about 5 hours of travel (with gas stops of course), my brakes begin to lock up and I have to bring the P2 settings way down to around 2ish. You would think it would be the opposite with hot brakes and they would fade and i would need to increase the setting.....odd, although I have also needed to lower my settings after driving on a bumpy road.

Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 11:03am
This has been an interesting conversation. Glad I opened it up.
Does anyone have a controller (not factory) that works as advertised and they like? Brand and model?
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 11:17am
My POD braking power increased significantly after my first bearing service because I cleaned and de-greased the inside of the brake hub where the magnet makes contact and cleaned the magnet itself. Made a world of difference for me. YMMV. Smile

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 11:17am
Imo I don't think you want the trailer brakes  locking up ,as explained to me when I had brake problems a couple of years ago, the trailer brakes are ddesigned to slow or stop the trailer and the tv brakes are designed to slow or stop the tow vehicle. I have never been able to lock up the wheels on the rpod on pavement , auto manufactures have proven a vehicle will stop fast and safer with anti locking brakes.when setting my controller I set the gain to where I get a drag on the trailer using the controller only. So far seems ok.
          Jo and moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>