R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstandard generator vs inverter generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: standard generator vs inverter generator
    Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 6:40pm
Hello everyone, my wife and I purchased a 172 last fall and have recently began trying to utilize all the features.  We often dont have access to electric so we are really missing the AC.  Its been hovering around 100* here and as much as i love the peace and quiet that is inherent in being outdoors, im ready for a bit more comfort.  
  So my question is simple.  I really dont want to spend 2 grand on a generator that only saves me 10dB.  i know that a 10dB increase in the sound world is like double the volume to our ears but is it really worth spending that much?  I can get a 4000 watt non inverter generator for around 300 bucks.  Or a 3000 watt inverter gen for about 2000 bucks.  Am I missing something?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:27pm
It's not "double".. every decibel climb is double so 10 decibels is a long way.

You don't have to spend $2K on a genny that will run the a/c AND is quiet. The champion 3100 inverter has garnered a strong following and reputation, as one example. Currently $650 to the house. Unless you live in AK or HI.

The "larger" of the 2000i gennies from Generac is reported to start the a/c with no issues, they run around the same price, but lighter and smaller.

Probably the cream of the crop in small gennerators that will start the a/c reliably is the Yamaha 2400ishc around $1300 delivered.

If you, and the campers around you, value peace and quiet, I promise you, you want an inverter genny.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by furpod

It's not "double".. every decibel climb is double so 10 decibels is a long way.

It's not quite that bad. CAUTION: Engineer speak to follow! The original definition of the decibel by Bell Labs and international standards organization established 1 decibel as the smallest change detectable by the human ear. A sound pressure change of 6 dB approximates doubling of the perceived loudness. A 10 dB increase would be perceived as 3.16 times as loud. Still a lot noisier in a campground. Strangely, due to the human ear response and other engineering things like phasing and coherence, two generators running may not sound quite twice as loud as one, but they will still be louder. Noise-wise, the big advantage of inverter generators is they can run slower (quieter) at low loads. At full load they can be just a noisy as a non inverter unit, depending on their muffler system. The better units, Honda and Yamaha, are designed to run quietly and have effective mufflers and baffling, as well as the inverter design.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:15pm
A lot may depend on where you camp.  If you camp by yourself in a national forest the sound only matters to you.  If there's a generator running in the forest and no one hears it, is it really loud?  If you camp in a crowded campground I can assure you, the decibel level matters.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 12:19am
Charlie - making... eyes... bleed....   

actually I love tech speak!

I'd say even camping by yourself you'll appreciate the difference of an inverter generator.  They use a lot less fuel, too.  I haven't heard one of the non-Yamaha/Hondas with my own ears, I would like to at some point.  I've owned the Yamaha 2400 mentioned above, and currently own the Honda 3000 and both are very quiet.  

Something to consider with sizing.  If you travel to higher elevations or where it is 100, often, you need to oversize the generator.  You loose something like 3% for every 1000 feet and 1% for every 10 degrees above 60 F, so if you are at 5000 feet and 100 F, like I was 2 weeks ago, a 2000 watt generator that worked fine in your driveway may not work (plus add in the higher pressure in the A/C because of the temperature which makes the problem worse) because it has lost nearly 20% of its rated output.  Plus you have to be careful with replacing the jet with a high-altitude version unless you will always be at a higher elevation.  Take that modified generator back to sea level and you will burn it up unless you convert it back.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 5:45am

Welcome to the group!

+1 on all of the above. I have a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator and have been pleased with it. I've spoken with a couple of owners of the larger unit and they were happy with them. You'll need the larger one to run the A/C.

It will not be hot forever and the A/C will not always be needed. You'll appreciate the lower idle (Eco-mode) of the inverter types (an so will your camping neighbors).

Anything big enough to run the A/C is going to be "hefty" (weight/size wise). Eat your "Wheaties" and wear a back brace. Another approach might be to get 2 of the 2K models and use them "paired" for trips when the A/C is needed. The rest of the time, just take along one genny.
STARKS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:43am
Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like the answer is to just save a bit more money and get the inverter style. I live at nearly 5,000 feet so nearly all my camping will be at least that. So I will definitely have to get a larger gen. Any recommendations? It would really be nice to stay under 2 grand.
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:55am
We have the Champion 3000, with the remote start.  I like the remote start, more the remote stop.  Can turn off easily.  We have camped about 30 nights so far this year and use it about every day we camp for the oven and the AC some afternoons.  It is was about $900 on amazon.  BTW,our paths may cross, we camp frequently on the Green or Snake areas in South west WY, coming out of Park City.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:07am
Also, the non-inverter types produce a "dirty" waveform, which may damage sensitive electronics. Inverters produce a modified or true sine wave; true sine is ideal, but modified sine is OK for the vast majority of devices.
STARKS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:49am
Awesome. We don't usually go that far. We are close to Casper so we do a lot around Glendo lake. Hoping to do a trip to pathfinder. I fly fish as well so any chance I get to squeeze in some fishing is a major bonus.
 Post Reply Post Reply