R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFiberglass crack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass crack
    Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 8:49am
I brought my pod out for the second time this year and noticed a crack in the fiberglass (front/part of the roof panel) that was not there a month ago when we used it last.  It looks like the break is coming from beneath and not the result of something having struck the pod.  Since we were leaving for a quick trip to WI, I put some caulk around the edges so as to keep water from penetrating and damaging the material underneath.  I have looked and have not found any other cracks.  Since we just got back yesterday evening, I have not had a chance to contact the dealer yet.  I am starting here.
Has anyone else seen something like this?  If so, how was it repaired?  The pod is a 2015 179 with several months left  on the extended warranty.  What do you think, is it covered?
Thanks
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 8:54am
I attempted to include a photo of the crack but can't seem to get it posted.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks again.
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:30am
When you compose the message, look for an icon that looks like a couple of boxes with an arrow pointing toward the top-right. That is the expanded editor. The option to post a photo will be there. Look for an icon that looks like a tree. You will need to edit your photo so that the size will be less than 1024 kilobytes (1 Mb). Any photo editor should be helpful to resize it. Changing it to 800x600 (or whatever ratio it works out to with the greater of them being the 800) should work. Then save it as either a JPEG (.jpg) or PNG (.png) file. Browse for that photo and upload it. Once you have done so, clicking Okay will paste the photo in your message.

Hope this helps.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
alan7170 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 1:02am
I feel your pain.  We have a 2013 177 and 18 months into ownership developed a horizontal crack on the rear, about a foot or so above the window.  Called FR and all I got,was well, it's out of warranty so sorry.  Then, they had the audacity to ask me to ask whoever repaired it to take pictures for me to send them so they could see what may have caused the crack.

So they did not offer any help but wanted me to document the issues for them...

Anyway, took it to two body shops for estimates...ended up using a fellow that cleaned up the crack and installed an exterior piece of molding to cover it...looks good after he sealed it and also painted the rear end.

What he discovered was that the crack developed along a joint in the rpod frame and was concerned that if he repaired the fiberglass it may crack again in the future in the same location.

If you want a pic of the finished repair, I can take one for you...but you can't see the crack.

Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply