R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 axle risers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 axle risers
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 9:32pm
So I drove to Nebraska from Denver to get a Rpod in June.   Its awesome.   One of the many mysteries I have yet to solve is the axle changes.   I have a new axle, or at least a different one that has ore tilt than the previous versions according to some of you.   However, now that I am back in the Rockies, its not riding on my Jeep like it should and the risers seem like a good place to start.  Plus there is more scraping going on than I want to hear from back there.

So my question is about the FR models, which have a different frame (mine holds 2 batteries on the tongue) if I can do the risers?    Also, I think I should also replace the tires with bigger ones.   I bought save a jack's since I have to replace my jacks already.   So would any of you happen to know about the risers?

Derek
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 12:12pm
We also traveled from Colorado to Nebraska to purchase our R-pod two years ago (Nelsen RV, right?).  I estimate we saved at least $4,000 by making that trek.  For our generation of R-pod, the Hood River Edition (manufactured in Oregon and sold only in the West) came with risers as well as 15" wheels and knobby tires.  The non-HRE Pods (manufactured in Indiana and sold in the Midwest and East) did not come standard with risers, and had 14" wheels and standard tires. Since we bought in Nebraska, it was a non-HRE Pod.  However, ours already had risers added, which helps tremendously with clearance.

It's my understanding that the new R-pods, like yours, no longer offer risers.  They have a different axle than the older ones.  However, I've read that some have added risers, so I guess it's possible. 

But if you're issue is how it "rides" on your Jeep, that sounds to me more like your hitch not being at the correct height.  Is your Pod level or slightly nose-down when hitched up?  Or is it nose-high?  If it's nose-high, you need a hitch with more drop.  Last year, we got rid of our old tow vehicle, an '04 Durango, and upgraded to an '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel.  But the receiver is much higher on the Jeep than the Durango, so I had to get a new draw bar that was 2" lower than my previous one.  Check that out first.

As far as different frames, I believe they're all the same.  I added a second battery to mine soon after purchasing it.  You can fit two batteries on any R-Pod.  The frame has nothing to do with the height of the R-pod.  Rather, it's the axle/riser/wheel/tires that do.  So risers and bigger wheels/tires would certainly give you more clearance. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:40am
So I stopped by Kettleson and the 2017's FRE cannot hold 2 batteries on the tongue.  So wierd "that" is different.   Nontheless, yes I went to A.C Nelson and picked up a 2017 176t.

My Jeep is high, so the tail end drags.  I went by Hitch Corner and if I order a bigger drop, I will get the tail end up, but then the hitch is pretty low.   So the idea is risers and bigger tires/wheels and then the trailer is as high as the Jeep.  I was reading that the 2017's have a new axle with a different rake so they don't need the risers.  So I guess the real puzzle is if the FRE's with the different frame get the new axle and they still add risers.  Thats why I am so confused. 
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:30pm
I'm having a hard time understanding why you couldn't fit two batteries on any R-pod.  By "FRE," do you mean non-Hood River Edition ("Forest River Edition"???).  If they are putting different frames on the two editions of R-pods, that's a very recent development.  The A-frame hitch part of the frame on my non-HRE gave me plenty of room to add a second battery box.  I can't picture how the A-frame could possibly be narrower, since R-pods are all the same width, regardless of year or place of manufacture.

I'm not doubting you, just wondering if Kettelsen gave you bogus info. 

As far as adding axle risers to a 2017, a few people have posted about doing just that on the R-pod Owners Facebook page.  It's a closed group, but just request membership, and the moderator, Travis (who also posts frequently on this site) will accept you quickly.  Search for "axle risers on 2017" and you'll find info and pictures.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:56pm
My 2017 179 came with the 3" risers - it's not a Hood River Edition. They're an option - dealer ordered. 

Here's a DIY article:
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1920&title=axle-riser-diy
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:08pm
I have always wanted to test my mortality by having heavy unbolted things above me !   Thank you.  I will get this on this week.
 Post Reply Post Reply