R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater leak at Air Spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water leak at Air Spoiler
    Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:12pm
It is just a set of running lights - although on my pod and my current camper I DID install an extra set of brake lights high-up for safety.  I would put the spoiler back on but now that the hole underneath is weatherproof there is no need to seal the spoiler's edge.  Let it weep in all directions.

Suggestion for the free-turning screws, use the old wooden match stick trick.  A bit of wood in each hole with some glue, let it dry, and now the screws have something to grab when you put them back in.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 1:35am
LOL, the old matchstick trick is a good one that I will employ.  Actually, having trouble with backing them out since they just turn in place.  It just takes time and patience.  Used one of those cameras that you can stick through a tiny hole to inspect in between the interior panel and the roof.  Got lucky as the rafters look ok.  Should be good to go after that wire access hole is secure and spoiler reattached with new stainless steel screws and matchsticks.  Thanks everyone for the input.  Extremely helpful.
Bob & Cindy
San Francisco Wine Country
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by techntrek

It is just a set of running lights - although on my pod and my current camper I DID install an extra set of brake lights high-up for safety.  I would put the spoiler back on but now that the hole underneath is weatherproof there is no need to seal the spoiler's edge.  Let it weep in all directions.

Suggestion for the free-turning screws, use the old wooden match stick trick.  A bit of wood in each hole with some glue, let it dry, and now the screws have something to grab when you put them back in.

How did you remove the old sealant? I noticed gaps in the spoiler on our R-Pod as well as cracks in the sealant around the Fantastic Fan. Other areas still look okay. If I go through the trouble of removing the spoiler and fan, I would want to remove the old sealant before resealing with new sealant.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 7:01am
I don't remove the Dicor (SLLS), I wipe it clean with acetone on a rag, vigorously, then reapply. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:57am
Acetone would likely soften, if not dissolve the spoiler. Since I would be removing it, I would want to get most, if not all of the old Dicor off so I could start with fresh sealant. If I were leaving it in place, I would just use denatured alcohol, which is what was recommended in a video on the Dicor site.

Edit: When I worked at Uniflite (since absorbed by Hatteras, then by Chris Craft before the plant shut down completely), we would take shavings of plastic for hatches and put them in acetone to soften and dissolve. This was then used as filler and glue around the cut edges of the hatches. That is why I would be leery of using acetone around any of the plastic parts on the R-Pod.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
bobt49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:11am
Have not been able to fix the spoiler on my Rpod but will be attacking the problem in several weeks.  I will post pictures and results, eventually.  One of the things about Dicor that is so annoying it that it looks so sloppy as it was applied at the factory to vents and air conditioner.  Very tempting to somehow remove it and do a cleaner job, but everyone I have talked to says to clean and reapply on top of the original stuff.  Any other opinions on this?
Bob & Cindy
San Francisco Wine Country
RPod 177
Nissan Titan
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 11:11am
What type of sealant do you guys recommend. I have only had my 179 for a few months but am sure my day will come. THANKS.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 12:07pm
Dicor seems to be the main brand of sealer used. There are two types: Self leveling and Non-leveling/Non-Sag. The Self-leveling is used on horizontal surfaces such as those around the vent stacks and the vent fan on top of the pod. The Non-leveling/Non-Sag type is made to use on vertical surfaces where the Self-leveling types would run before it could harden.

I have seen other brands of lap sealer on Amazon, but I don't have any experience with any of them. That is why I have been reading this and doing searches myself to find out more information.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 1:11pm
StephenH, many thanks.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12