R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedD-load-rated tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-load-rated tires
    Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:23am
It sounds like you purchased load range E tires instead of load range D. Maxxis has a chart which indicates load range D at 65 psi and load range E at 80 psi. I've seen the chart on other sites also. Do the tires you purchased have the load range molded into the tire as well? If so, what is it?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 11:12am
It does sound like your tires are E rated, which is good. LR E tires have stronger side walls than LR D, but they do not necessarily need to be inflated to their max pressure. An LR E tire will carry the rated load of an LR D tire with 65 psi, which should be adequate for the Pod. Lower pressure will also yield an easier ride for your trailer and its contents. Some folks notice objectionable bouncing with high inflation tires. Just decide what load each tire must carry, add some margin, and refer to the manufacturer's inflation chart. Not the max, but the load vs inflation charts. I did this when I replaced my OEM P-metrics with LR E light truck tires on my Tacoma. I run 50psi in E rated (80 psi) LTs.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 11:31am
I mentioned to my DW last night that I was thinking about replacing the tires and she didn't hesitate to say "do it". She doesn't like the way the current C-rated tires (the ones I got as replacements on the trip where I blew out both tires) bulge at 50 psi and I can't say I'm too thrilled about it either.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 12:09pm
Charlie, you obviously know a lot more about tires than I do.  Where might I find the inflation chart?  I remember weighing our 171 a few years ago with it was loaded.  I got a weight of about 2800 lbs.  What would you suggest that the inflation pressure should be for that weight?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Charlie, you obviously know a lot more about tires than I do.  Where might I find the inflation chart?  I remember weighing our 171 a few years ago with it was loaded.  I got a weight of about 2800 lbs.  What would you suggest that the inflation pressure should be for that weight?  Safe Travels.

Bob,

Unfortunately inflation charts for smaller trailer tires are harder to find than for auto and truck tires. Here's an example of such a chart, but not for your size. I include this only as an example of the decision process:
uploads/1573/Tire_Inflation_Table.pdf

There are similar charts for Maxxis, but not for the exact tires you seem to have:
http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trailer-tire-loadinflation-chart

Maybe Maxxis or some knowledgeable, cooperative manufacturer will help you. I presently have LR D BFGoodrich LT195/75R14 T/A KO tires on my Camplite and they work well. BFG has discontinued their T/A KOs so next time I may be pushed into their T/A KO2s, which are LR E, as I was on the truck. That's OK too.

I totally distrust most dealers as they don't know or don't care what they sell. For example I just replaced my OEM P-metric passenger tires on my Tacoma. I wanted the stronger and more rigid sidewalls of LT tires. However, the tire shop guy said they always inflated per the sticker on the vehicle, which clearly states 32psi for P-metrics. I wanted 50 psi. Long story...I explained and he said "Oh" without really wanting to understand. Unfortunately you can also get the same answer from some tire companies because their lawyers won't let them deviate from the vehicle makers' label, but the  vehicle makers are mostly concerned with maximizing their Combined Average Fleet Economy (CAFE) ratings. (End of rant).

I believe the Pods still have a 3500# axle so I'd go with tires inflated for a load of 1750-2000 pounds each.

Good luck with your search and please let me know if I can be of more assistance. Tires can be a tiring subject. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 2:04pm
Thanks for that very informative explanation.  Tires can be problematical at best.  Will take another look at the side wall.  Thanks for your help.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by PODSKI

Camper Bob,  Please let me know when you are on the road--I don't want to be any where near you when your tires blow.

+1 on what Camper Bob said.  If the sidewall rating of the tire says 80 psi, it isn't going to blow when they are inflated to 80 psi.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Has anyone tried running tires with a D load rating on their 'Pod? After my experience a month ago with two blowouts, I'm looking for any way to run as sturdy of a tire as possible. Discount Tire has Carlisle HD 205/75R14 tires with a D load rating and M speed rating, but they're a little pricey to buy without knowing if they'll work well.

I bought the same tire in the "C" load range this Spring, from Discount tire. So far, so good. My neighbor spoke well of Carlisle. He is a pretty sharp guy and has experience with the brand. Note that I have 4 tires (tandem axle) so I am WELL within the specifications. Even at maximum loading, I am only at about 60% of their rating. I do recommend getting them balanced - for the same reasons we get the tires on our TVs balanced.

Yes, the Carlisle tires were not inexpensive but, I would rather not have to change (flat) tires on the side on the interstate highway.   I didn't mind spending a little more.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 4:11pm
BTW, I put a new set of D-rated radial tires on my camper before our trip last summer.  Over 8000 miles w/o any odd tread wear.  Brand is Duraturn.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 5:32pm
David.  I'm with you.  You got a expensive trailer behind you and putting on cheap tires, doesn't make sense to me.  I have always spent extra on all the cars I have ever purchased and replaced to original tires with Michelin tires.  Not cheap, but what is your life worth?  I have always lived by the motto, "You get what you pay for."  No regrets in all my years.  Save Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>