R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization - exterior and interior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization - exterior and interior
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 11:23pm
After only two glorious fall weekends using our new 178, it is time for us to put it away for the Colorado winter. Unfortunately, the R-pod will be in a storage lot and not at home where I can monitor its condition. In preparation, I plan to take these steps. The guidance of longer time Podders will be appreciated.
  1. I have been told by several people, due to the high winds in the area, that tarping or covering is not advisable. I will wash the outside and want to provide some sort of UV protection for the finish. What wax or similar product do people recommend? 
  2. I will cover the tires.
  3. I will close the shades and blinds - are they adequate sun protection for 6 months?
  4. The black and grey tanks will be drained and adequate antifreeze will be added.
  5. I will drain the freshwater tank and water heater and pump antifreeze into the system.
  6. I will store the battery at home in the garage (on a wood block).
  7. I will locate as many penetrations through the floor as I can find and fill them with foam sealant.
  8. Do people recommend any sort of rodent protection?
  9. What am I overlooking?
Thom

sean p View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 5:44am
everything sounds great you are planning.We still plan on more trips till nov.1st.  And we are lucky to store in our yard. Maob calls for the end of october and plenty of free camping spots around jefferson county . Happy winter to you..
2016 179pod--BETTY
2010 nissan frontier
Sean and Doug
Butchie the morkie
touring the west
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:02am
Thom, we put dryer sheets everywhere inside the pod and put some cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil in dishes covered with saran wrap with a couple small holes in the wrap. These we also put everywhere including the storage areas. We then place on the ground some moth balls under the pod as a first line of defence against mice etc.   Starting our 5th winter and so far so good.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:41pm
No need for antifreeze in the gray and black tanks.  Also no need to store the battery on a board, that solves an old problem from way back in the days when battery cases were slightly conductive so storing them on a concrete floor caused them to discharge.  No problem with the modern plastic cases.

See the link in my signature for a winterization checklist.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
HeyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 12:40am
This is all very helpful. In fortunately my travel schedule this year won't let us camp ithrough October, like Sean P. One question that hasn't been answered is a recommendation for a finish coating (wax). And one that I didn't ask: do I need to cover the air conditioner?
Thanks all,
Thom
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:13am
I've been using Turtle Wax Ice. It is a synthetic polymer wax, and seems to work well. It can be applied in the full sun. I've been using it on my car (and previous car) for years.

As for covering the air conditioner, while probably not required, it would not be a bad idea if you are not using a full cover on the R-Pod. I've seen a picture of a cover made just for RV air conditioners. One of those would probably be best as it would fit the shape. I have a full cover (Classic Accessories) on our EscaPOD. It has two straps that run underneath to keep it in place. Since it is made for the R-Pod, I would expect it to stand up, even if it does get windy.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:18am
As for wax. I have used Nufinish for all my vehicles and also now on the pod. Love it.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:18am
We had our pod 5 1/2 years, never covered it but it did need a heavy wash every spring due to tree sap. Can't hurt to cover part or all of it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
I live in SC, my Rpod is in covered storage.  I have a trip to FLA planned in mid December (dog show of course 😊). It won't be below freezing Florida and only a slight chance of below freezing up to December in SC.  How much winterization is needed before that trip in December (it "might" get briefly below freezing by mid December, as in maybe - couple hours over night).  It will be winterized fully after the December trip.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:14pm
Overnight brief freezes which are in the 30's, and high 20's should be okay, especially if you have some form of heat running inside the Pod and leave cabinet doors open where there is plumbing. Extended freezes would, or course, require proper winterization. When we went out west last winter, we had some overnights in the low 20's. It was above freezing during the day though. and when it was coldest, we were running the furnace.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>