FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsidering an R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an R-Pod
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by fwunder

I've been making a big batch of BBQ sauce this afternoon which requires a beer or two or three to get just right...but I just had a brilliant idea!
How about an electric assist trailer? A potentiometer on hitch measures drag and kicks in electric assist on trailer to "push" it along when needed. Electric assist could be powered from various sources - solar, battery, on board generator, dilithium crystals or Honda 2000 in back of TV.
Back to my BBQ sauce.
fred

Now there is a thought with merit!

codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:48pm
I am still waiting for the day when someone writes in for advice on pulling their RPdod with an Electra Glide.  It's coming, I can sense it.  Star    It can be done with a Harley, no doubt,  but it will significantly cut the fuel mileage and pulling hills will take first gear and some time/hours.   
Wyoming, btw, has two supercharger stations, one is on I80 in Cheyenne, the other one, which was the first one in the state, is installed in the smallest county - population wise - and is on a rural state low traffic highway.  In the small Cowtown deluxe, Lusk, Wy.   
Doubt there is a Tesla in Lusk or within a few hundred or more hundreds of miles. 
Lusk is  ~350 miles east of Yellowstone/Grand Teton on the eastern Wy prairie.  It is a good heartland place. 
They aren't into electric cars there even with the plug ins available, and they don't make electric pickup trucks, which is what most ranchers and locals there drive. 
The charger plug-in's there are probably full of dust or spider houses due to lack of use.      I digress......  
Kinda strange and goofy marketing is what everyone thought when Tesla put the station in there --- right after they all said "what the hell is a Tesla and why does it need to be plugged in"? 
Maybe the Tesla's  have a lot of torque like a train engine and are entry level towing machines?  

cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:03pm
Wyoming now has 4 superchargers and another one under construction. Plus there is one right on the border in West Yellowstone. That said, I am sensing that there is a general dislike for electric by some here.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:11pm
Please don't get that sense. I, for one, can't wait for a capable EV. Particularly, a self driving EV. Thanks for the inspiration! BTW, I was a bit worried towing my pod across Wyoming for lack of gas stations!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Please don't get that sense. I, for one, can't wait for a capable EV. Particularly, a self driving EV. Thanks for the inspiration! BTW, I was a bit worried towing my pod across Wyoming for lack of gas stations!
fred

Thanks for that

And, for what it is worth, the Tesla X is the first EV that is specifically designed to tow and the battery packs will only get bigger. Not to mention the charging infrastructure has taken off.

And they can already self drive in limited circumstances and are working towards fully autonomous in the near future. In fact, a new update is being released today which I will be excited to try out.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:35pm
Yeah true ,
West Yellowstone has a charge station, Billings, Bozeman, Idaho Falls etc. so there are some around YNP.  It will be like a sled dog race and feeding the sled dogs.  
I don't dislike electric, I have a lot of great rechargeable tools, razor, and an electric fence around my horse pasture, and this computer ain't solar powered.  
All of the trains that run around here are diesel over electric.  Most folks don't know that.  Lots of torque with the electric train motors.
Plug in vehicles just are not suited for now in western rural areas for vehicles, if ever.  And then throw in the cold and happy camping.
The huge megawatt electric generating plants here in Wy that produce the power that you plug your Tesla into to recharge it all burn low-sulpher coal.  How about that carbon footprint when you plug in here in Wy and nearby states? 
I think the Tesla electric car folks are mostly gasaphobic.  Or Petrophobic.  Need to come up with a good term....I don't care what you drive, drive them until they drop, recharge, go forward. 
What I don't like are people who try to tow trailers with vehicles that are way too underpowered or too lightweight to handle emergency stops and the weight of the vehicle they are pulling.  
Undersized and underpowered tow rigs s can and do kill other people, and the drivers.
I live just outside Yellowstone so I see it all.  
Still waiting for the Electra Glide tow rig, perhaps even an electric Electra Glide one.
You might want to consider a Casita.  http://casitatraveltrailers.com/
cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by codycountry

What I don't like are people who try to tow trailers with vehicles that are way too underpowered or too lightweight to handle emergency stops and the weight of the vehicle they are pulling.   Undersized and underpowered tow rigs s can and do kill other people, and the drivers.

And neither do I.

What you don't know about me is that I have over 100,000 towing miles (including numerous miles in the mountains) under my belt as I used to haul a 30 ft fifth wheel horse trailer across North America in my earlier years. I know safe hauling practices and safe hauling vehicles.

I would not be considering hauling with this vehicle if it were unsafe to do so.

This vehicle is specifically designed to haul in both size and power.
cmt489 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:12pm
Since I can't seem to edit to add information, the Model X is a class 3 towing vehicle.

https://forums.tesla.com/en_CA/forum/forums/class-3-towing-capability

Edited the link so it works - techntrek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:27pm
Cool,
Send me a pvt.  reply future-wise if you get in YNP country and perhaps we can sit around a campfire.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:31pm
Several responses in one post here...

Fred - actually I've wanted to build a pusher for years.  Read about it years ago in an issue of Home Power magazine.  Often built on the rear half of a pickup frame since you can load it up with lead-acid weight and just need to add the electric motor on the existing drive shaft since the rest of what you need to put the power on the pavement is already there.  I figured I would add a second accelerator on the left side of the brake pedal and let the gas engine idle as much as possible to power the various accessories like the brakes, power steering, etc.  I'd be happy with a 50% mpg increase.

Someone suggested mounting a generator as an assist.  Not nearly enough electrons to do any good compared to the power needs of an electric car.

cmt489 - welcome.  On top of my knowledge of home-made electric vehicles I've also designed my own home solar system, several times over.  Never could pull the pin on building it with kids to put through college and family vacations before the kids fly away.  I was an advocate for the Volt years before it went to production.  Can't wait for a viable mainstream truck for towing since you get full torque from a dead stop.  So that puts into context what I'm going to say:  as has been said already, you don't want to tow with the range your vehicle has unless it is within 100 miles and you charge for the trip home while you are in-camp.  No way cross-country.  Too many places you will almost run out of gas let alone try to find a charging station.  Also as been said, you don't want to tow a full-height camper if you do.  Aerodynamic drag has a far larger affect on mpgs (range) than weight.  Real-world example, I used to tow a large popup with a Sienna.  That camper was heavier than a 171 pod but of course half the height of a pod when being towed.  The Sienna got 23 mpg during daily driving, 16 mpg pulling the heavier popup, and later 10-12 pulling the pod.  Figure a 1/3 loss in range pulling a popup but over 50% loss in range pulling a pod (thus my suggestion to keep within 100 miles of home).  You know this from pulling a horse trailer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>