R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Pump or Check Valve Issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump or Check Valve Issue?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 5:04pm
I apologize for bringing this topic up again, but the search feature is failing me or I'm using the wrong query.

Issue:
2015 179
- Water pump continues to kick on intermittently after pressurizing system (been doing for several months). Not running water pump when hooked up to city water.
- Today (first time noticed) when hooked up to city water can hear sound of running water under bed near where water inlets and fresh water tank is located.
- Previously empty fresh water tank has water draining when I pull plug.
- No water leaks inside or outside the unit detected.
- Previously had clog in cold water line going to kitchen sink - resolved.
- Currently kitchen sink, toilet, indoor shower and outdoor shower have good water flow on both city water or water pump.

My memory from reading about this before in this forum is a have a defective check valve.  My memory doesn't remember what the solution is.  If a new water pump required should I replace with the same as original or is there better, quieter, units out there for a similar cost.

Thanks.

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 5:58pm
Attempted solution:
Disconnected city water. Put water in tank. Turned on water pump, ran faucets, water pump built up pressure, kicked off, 31 seconds later (not 29, not 33) water pump kicks back on. Left faucets closed, water pump continued to cycle on every 31 seconds. Turned water pump off. Repeated same process 5 times. Water pump continues to cycle on every 31 seconds. Connected city water again hear water running into fresh water tank.

I have verified the valve that would be used to suck up pink antifreeze is in the proper position.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 1:52pm
Ordered replacement check valve from West Marine.  Installed, didn't really even need to remove water pump, but already had pulled it.  Flushed all the lines one more time.  Everything is happy!
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 3:39pm
Glad you got it diagnosed and fixed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:00pm
Bill, where is that check valve located?  Once in a while ours does the same thing but maybe twice/day.  Maybe starting to go bad but this is something we have heard for the past 2 years.  Last week we were in the pod all day (for 1 day only) as we camped along Lake Superior and didn't feel like hiking or picking agates in 44 degree weather with 25 mph winds blowing off the lake with heavy rain, guess we felt like wimps that day.  During the day we heard it do that 2 times, not at all during the night, were boondocking, so not hooked up to water or electric.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 10:17pm
Jato, our pump was running much more often, every 30 to 60 seconds at the end.  But even at the beginning it was running about once an hour.  But to answer your question:  Our pod has a Shurflo model 4008.  The check valve is on the end that the water hoses come in and out of.  We replaced ours with part #94-800-03 (https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-800-03-Model-Check-Valve/dp/B00XKZ31VC)  Before we replaced it we did the trouble shooting suggested by the manufacturer.  1) Is their sufficient water in the fresh water tank for the pump to pull up?  2) Do you have any leaks?  3) Is the strainer/filter clogged with debris?  The strainer/filter is on the same end as the hoses and is a clear bowl that is just hand tightened.  We removed this and soaked it in vinegar to ensure the was no crud in it.  4) Check for debris in the pump inlet/outlet valves.  

BTW, we did remove our from the floor, but worked on it right there so we did not have to cut the crimps on any wires.

Good Luck!

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm
Thanks Bill, I will check that out this weekend.  If I find anything, I will let you know.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply