R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod 179 newbies. Need help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod 179 newbies. Need help
    Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:37am
We are finally getting our 179 ready for our first trip later this month. Had to do some unexpected repairs because a large pine branch fell on the pod while we were away, so our pristine trailer is no longer so. May have a little bit of water damage, but nothing serious - fingers crossed. After plugging in the power and starting the fridge on 120v according to the manual, we have no coldness after 24 hours. All the lights are on but nothing is happening. Any suggestions - am I missing something? Just switched to gas and I am waiting to see if that works. I hope it is something simple and someone out there can set me straight. Thanks in advance.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:50am
First, you say lights are on. What setting do you have for the temperature (the bars on the right side)? What is the ambient temperature? Do you have a thermometer inside the refrigerator that is verifying that it is not cooling? Have you removed the outside covers to make sure it is plugged in? If so, can you remove the plug and verify that the outlet has power (plug in a lamp or use a meter if you have one)? Is the ground fault outlet tripped? Is the circuit breaker in the power panel tripped?
Hopefully, you will figure it out. If none of the above suggestions work, and if it also does not cool with propane, then you would do well to get it to your dealer's service department.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:08am
Thanks for the quick response Stephen. I have it set at max. It is plugged in and power is definitely available. I'll leave it running on gas for a while and see what happens. It is about 50 degrees outside - and inside.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:10pm
If it cools on gas that excludes the ammonia system, then you are down to the checks Stephen mentioned.  Plug a night light into the outlet behind the fridge for starters.  Worst case you can run it on 12 volt mode which will draw power through the converter and ultimately the 120 volt system.  Just don't use the 12 volt mode when towing.  It uses little propane so it would just be easier to stay on propane all the time if you can't get 120 volt mode working before you leave.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 11:28am
Thanks for the input. It has been running on gas since yesterday afternoon - about 18 hrs now and has not cooled at all, so no luck there. In fact it would have been cooler inside if I had left the door open - it was frosty here last night. The gas is burning but no cooling inside. looks like it will be off to the dealers tomorrow. I don't think I can do anymore. This thing is only a year or so old and the previous owner assures me that the fridge worked last time he used it? Are these really so fragile that they break down just sitting around? How critical is leveling? It currently is very slightly - maybe and inch - lower on one side in my driveway. Could that be a factor. If it is how do they work when you are on the road?
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:13pm
Carolina

Yes.. over time an un levelled trailer will/could affect the operation of the fridge but it appears that there is something far more sinister afoot here.  I would agree with StephenH and suggest that a trip to the service dept of a Dealer should be your next call.

Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:16pm
Whoops....I see the computer changed your name and I didn't notice....apologies.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:37pm
Thanks - how's things in Manitoba? It did sit for a couple of months with the back end somewhat lower - 20-30 cms maybe? Could that be the cause? I wasn't aware that leveling was such an issue. This thing is already costing me money and I haven't even slept in it yet. A bit frustrating, but hopefully it will all be worth it. We hope to use it quite a bit to see the USA (and Canada) over the next 2 or 3 years while we are still young and fit enough.
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:45pm
Well....thus far we are without snow although it is all around us....even South Dakota got a blizzard. Just sitting without the fridge operating won't be the cause.  We've always been told that operating the fridge when the units aren't level will eventually cause them to stop working.  We've always been pretty diligent about leveling our Pod. Is this the cause....I don't know but if you've done the tests that StephenH suggested then the next stop is the service bay.
I'll bet its frustrating but once you get going you'll love the Pod!
Best Wishes!  
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 4:08pm
I had hoped it was something simple. It apparently isn't. The dealer is your best bet. The refrigerator must be near level ( 3 degrees side-to-side and 6 degrees front-to-back)  to operate properly. Operating while not level can damage it. See this video for more information:  Level your RV for proper operation of your refrigerator.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>