Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuspicious Email?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspicious Email?
    Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 11:34am

I thought I might pass this along.....

I received an email from "Denny Smith" who wanted to know more about my Rpod awning. I did not open the email and deleted it.

1. There is no member here with that member name.
2. How did this person get my personal email address? The email did NOT come via the "private mail" function of this forum.

Be careful about what you open. If it does not come through the private mail or you do not know the sender, use caution. You may get something more than you want (like a virus, ransomeware, etc.)
osage View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the warning
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 4:19pm
If you are using Thunderbird for your email, here are a few tips:

Message filters are your friends. Make them and use them to filter the email. Look for the Tools and select Message Filters. Here is where you create the filters.
The first filter to create is one for addresses. Set it up so that any message not in your personal or collected addresses gets marked as "junk" and moved to the junk message folder. Initially, a lot of valid emails will end up here until you add the sender to your address book. It filters out most of the garbage.
While you are at it, create a filter to mark any message coming from you as junk and send it to the junk folder also. You are not usually in the habit of sending messages to yourself, are you? Spammers can and do fake your address as the "from" address.
If you create different folders for different subjects, such as R-Pod, Smoking Meat, or family members, you can create filters here to sort the messages into those folders. You would not mark those as junk.

Second, if you are using Thunderbird and you do get a message that you are not sure of, don't open it normally. highlight it and hit CTRL-U instead. That will open up a text view of the message source. In it, you can see all sorts of information such as who sent it. If you use web tools like Central Ops, you can even find out if the message purporting to come from someone originates with that person, or is a faked email sent from China, Vietnam, Russia, Romania, etc. That does take a bit of understanding on how email works though. This way of viewing the message is safe since it is viewing the source and there are no active links or any way for any possible malware to execute.

Last, you could ditch Windows and run a Linux distribution (Mint is nice for beginners). Linux is not subject to Windows malware. If you do not have any special programs that require Windows to run, this is a good option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:44pm
I keep getting some really convincing phishing emails lately (not Rpod related).  Proper grammar, spelling, etc.  They are getting smarter.

I just got a new laptop - old one is 8 years old and still going strong if not a bit beat up.  I gritted my teeth since it came with Win 10 but I fully plan on trying a dual-boot with some flavor of Linux on it for my day to day browsing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 9:25pm
Someone say fishing?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:40am

It seems like that stuff is on the increase. I've been getting a lot more lately - 3 from "FedEx" having a problem delivering a package.

1. My front porch is still there.
2. The real FedEx doesn't have my email address
3. Hovering the curser over the sender reveals a sender other than FedEx.
4. I have nothing coming from FedEx.

And many more......

I've not used Linux but, the folks that do seem to like it. I got Windows 10 "forced" on me, a while back. I would daily close the nagware message "You really should upgrade, while it is still free". After a few months, this became routine. Well, the last message must have read "If you don't immediately throw your PC out the window and blow it up, we're going to upgrade you - like it or not". The next thing I knew, my PC was shutting down.... I may yet go back to 7. IMHO, Windows peaked with XP and it's been downhill since.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Leo B

Someone say fishing?

Well....if you come to the Hoosier State, bring your ice auger! Snow today and single digit lows for the next couple of days.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:47am
Will do! We already have some ponds that are mostly ice covered, will be ice fishing really soon!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by David

It seems like that stuff is on the increase. I've been getting a lot more lately - 3 from "FedEx" having a problem delivering a package.

1. My front porch is still there.
2. The real FedEx doesn't have my email address
3. Hovering the curser over the sender reveals a sender other than FedEx.
4. I have nothing coming from FedEx.

And many more......

I've not used Linux but, the folks that do seem to like it. I got Windows 10 "forced" on me, a while back. I would daily close the nagware message "You really should upgrade, while it is still free". After a few months, this became routine. Well, the last message must have read "If you don't immediately throw your PC out the window and blow it up, we're going to upgrade you - like it or not". The next thing I knew, my PC was shutting down.... I may yet go back to 7. IMHO, Windows peaked with XP and it's been downhill since.

My most recent emails have been about "secure document delivery". "please click the attachment to retrieve your document". I'm not expecting any document delivery. Umm, no. I'm not to going to infect my computer with your virus.

LOL on your porch still being there! I've had more than one experience where my porch was still there, my car was in the driveway, and I was home expecting a package that needed a signature, only to step outside to find one of those yellow "sorry we missed you" stickers on my front door. Hey buddy - my doorbell works and you never knocked!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:29am
I haven't seen any emails such as the ones in the original post, but I have been hit a few times with calendar spam. This is on a Mac. I disabled automatic parsing of invitations in emails to stop it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>