Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaving $$ on car insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving $$ on car insurance
    Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 11:52am
I spoke to my insurance agent the other day and asked if I'd get a discount on my car insurance since I turned 65. NOPE! Rates go UP when you turn 65. Seems that us more mature folk are involved in our fair share of serious accidents. But if you take an approved driver re-education class, you can get a discount. I found classes  available through AAA and AARP. The AAA one was free with our membership. We took it and got about a $50 discount on our car insurance. Not sure if that balances what went up, but it is a savings. Learned a few good tips along the way too.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:31pm
Good post shroomer.  I have just placed a call with my insurance agent to see what they will do with me when I hit that infamous age.  I used to be with AAA until my college years when I found another company with better benefits and much lower rates.  Even today I will still shop around and check other's rates compared to my current insurer (Pioneer State Mutual, Lansing, MI) whom I have had for 15+ years.  Last week I got a call from AAA trying to insure me, I had to politely tell them "no thanks" after their quote came at 40% higher than what I currently pay, and that was with the exact same coverages.  Will post again to let you know what happens to my rates if and when I turn 65.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 7:56pm
Found out that our insurance through Pioneer State does not increase rates when you reach the 65 year milestone.  In fact it doesn't raise until you reach 73 years of age and at that point the increase is 1% - 3% depending on your driving record.  Morally we cannot support AARP even though they offer some tempting deals.  An alternative, which supports conservative values is AMAC, and they offer many similar plans, programs like AARP.
God's pod
'11 model 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
What is the issue with AARP, I'm curious?  I've "boycotted" a few organizations over the years so I understand the need, at times.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:33pm
Being a constitutionalist, I am conservative in my views.  That being said here are the reasons I cannot support AARP.

First, while AARP poses as a disinterested senior advocate, it functions as  an insurance conglomerate, with a liberal lobbying arm on the side. AARP depends  on profits, royalties and commissions to make up more than 50 percent of its  annual revenues. Membership dues from seniors account for only about 20 percent.  The sums involved aren’t chump change: AARP’s $458 million in health insurance  revenue in 2011 would rank it as the nation’s sixth most profitable health  insurer.

Second, AARP wins when seniors lose. Because AARP receives a “royalty fee” of 4.95 percent of every premium dollar paid by seniors buying  Medigap insurance from the organization, AARP earns more profit when seniors pay  more in premiums. Even former AARP executives admitLINK that the billions of  dollars raised from these business enterprises have compromised the  organization’s mission and independence.

Third, AARP’s policy positions just happen to coincide with its financial  interests. “Obamacare,” which AARP lobbied heavily for, could yield the group  windfall profits of more than $1 billion over the next decade by forcing seniors  off Medicare Advantage plans and into Medigap supplemental coverage. Conversely,  AARP engaged in a secret lobbying campaign to block Medigap reforms last year  that by one estimate would have saved nearly 80 percent of seniors an average of  $415 per year – but cost AARP billions in profits.

Fourth, AARP knows it can protect its financial interests by aligning with  Democrats, no matter what its members think. That’s one reason why AARP endorsed “Obamacare,” though the organization’s call response logs indicate opponents  outnumbered supporters by more than 50 to 1

Fifth, AARP lobbies heavily in favor of the LGBTQ agenda, a lot of money spent here for less than 2% of our population.

Sixth, AARP supports the likes of Planned Parenthood, which has on its agenda to continue to kill innocent lives, as of last year over 58,000,000 babies in the USA alone.  Good grief, what kind of a grizzley society have we become?  And selling aborted baby parts for sale?  With the wonders of modern science a heart beat is heard after only 14 days after conception.  Imagine, a mother has no idea she is pregnant until after the first month she misses her period and already a heart has been beating for at least 2 weeks.  Life, what a miracle.  Abortion, or murder, what an injustice.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:48pm
+1 to Jato.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Dargo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:37am
I thought it would be great to join this forum, just picked up our new Rpod 171. Just traded in our T@B for a increase in space. Started out Rving with a 98 truck and Dutchman trailer, 2000 Coachmen class c motor home, 2004 Fleetwood class a motor home, Winnebago View motor home and our T@B trailer. The point to all this, is, I never in a group or forum seen believes or politics allowed. I will continue to check occasionally for some great ideas, improvements or trip information. But, will not be an active participant.
2017.5   Rpod 171
2015      Yellow 4dr Wrangler
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:57am

Well, I'm not throwing a flag on the play. He was asked why he does not like the AARP and, he answered the question. As readers/fellow members, we may choose to agree with or dismiss the answer - and then move on. I don't see a violation of the forum rules, as stated in "Welcome and Rules".

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
Thanks David,  I try to be careful here as I know it doesn't take much to offend others in these areas.  I don't try to export the above facts unless I am asked first, as you stated here.
God's pod
'11 model 177
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Just received my insurance bill today with farmers Ins. been with them sense 1968 went up about $50.00 for 6 mo. to 350.00 hate to leave them as they have always come through on any claims but am going to check around for a better rate or raise the deductable to$1500.00
 Post Reply Post Reply