R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Heater Bypass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Heater Bypass
    Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 4:54pm
I've seen quite a few posts lately about the hot water being only lukewarm at best followed by suggestions to check & be sure the bypass valve isn't in the open position.  I had that problem, too, and here's what the bypass valve looks like in the open & closed positions.  Thought this might be useful to someone else who hasn't yet dug into the innards.

This plumbing, BTW, is under the bed on the street side in the 171.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 5:30pm
Don't forget though when the bypass is open you have to close the hot and cold water valves to the HWH.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Larabee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:51pm
We are experiencing the luke warm hot water issue in our 2017 RPD 179, but we do not have the bypass valve. We valves for the hot water and the cold water, but not the bypass. Has anyone experienced this? Is this a problem with the manufacturing of the unit or did Forest River change the design?

Thanks in advance!
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:21pm
We have a 2016 179 and definitely get hot water. We did so from the start!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Larabee

We are experiencing the luke warm hot water issue in our 2017 RPD 179, but we do not have the bypass valve. We valves for the hot water and the cold water, but not the bypass. Has anyone experienced this? Is this a problem with the manufacturing of the unit or did Forest River change the design?

Thanks in advance!

You have a two valve system, vs the original three valve.. I assure you, if you are getting anything besides pure cold, or pure hot out of the hot tap, your valves are wrong.
Larabee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:41pm
I don't know if this matters but just in case I am hooked up to city water. When water comes out of the tap cold it is 57.2 degrees. if I close both valves and turn on the hot water I get 57.2 degrees out of the tap. If I turn on the hot water (the Top Line, the red one) I get 57 degrees out of the tap. If I close the blue line at the bottom and leave the red line on at the top I get up to 94 degrees coming out of the tap, but it hovers closer to 92 degrees. In my house I can get a hundred and ten degrees out of the tap. This is our first travel trailer, is is 94 degrees a normal? Is there a setting on the hot water heater like there is in a home unit? Thanks for all your help and feedback.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Larabee

I don't know if this matters but just in case I am hooked up to city water. When water comes out of the tap cold it is 57.2 degrees. if I close both valves and turn on the hot water I get 57.2 degrees out of the tap. If I turn on the hot water (the Top Line, the red one) I get 57 degrees out of the tap. If I close the blue line at the bottom and leave the red line on at the top I get up to 94 degrees coming out of the tap, but it hovers closer to 92 degrees. In my house I can get a hundred and ten degrees out of the tap. This is our first travel trailer, is is 94 degrees a normal? Is there a setting on the hot water heater like there is in a home unit? Thanks for all your help and feedback.

I am not sure what you are trying to describe, but the water heater is preset to 140F. That is about what you should see with the valves set properly, and the water heater fully cycled.
POD WE R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 7:34pm
Make sure your outside shower valves are closed and not just the hand held sprayer is shut off.
Larabee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 10:07pm
Problem solved. It was a combination of a valve being set wrong and a new user to travel trailers. I found out that it takes 15-30 minutes (I was only waiting 10 minutes) for the hot water to reach temperature. Oh well, you live and learn. Thanks for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply