R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge Vent Fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge Vent Fan
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 10:38am
Tried searching, but didn't have any luck. Has anyone out there installed a fridge vent fan?  As far as I know my 2017 182G HRE doesn't have a fridge vent fan.  My last trailer, an Aliner, came with a fridge vent fan installed by the factory, and running the fan during the day seemed to make a huge difference with the fridge's ability to stay cold, especially running on propane.  I actually replaced the Dometic fan on my Aliner with 3 computer fans that were quieter, drew less power, and moved or CFM than the factory installed fan.  Do you all feel a fridge vent fan is necessary?  For those that have installed a fridge vent fan, where did you get the 12V power from?  We typically camp in hotter climates.

Seth
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:07am
You have one, it's inside the compartment and thermostat controlled. Open the top fridge access panel outside, look down inside.
Dromsie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:55pm
You are correct! I had only checked the upper compartment, since that is where it was located on my aliner. My aliner was also thermostat controlled, but had a on/off switch inside too.

Thanks
POD WE R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:07pm
If my 2017 180 has a vent fan, I can't find it. Any ideas where it is located?
Dromsie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:32pm
Mine is in the lower compartment, and is aimed up, not out through the vent.  The idea is it will suck cooler air from the lower vent and blow across the heat fins and out the upper vent.
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Dromsie

Tried searching, but didn't have any luck. Has anyone out there installed a fridge vent fan?  As far as I know my 2017 182G HRE doesn't have a fridge vent fan.  My last trailer, an Aliner, came with a fridge vent fan installed by the factory, and running the fan during the day seemed to make a huge difference with the fridge's ability to stay cold, especially running on propane.  I actually replaced the Dometic fan on my Aliner with 3 computer fans that were quieter, drew less power, and moved or CFM than the factory installed fan.  Do you all feel a fridge vent fan is necessary?  For those that have installed a fridge vent fan, where did you get the 12V power from?  We typically camp in hotter climates.

Seth
After having the refrigerator on my 2016 RPod 171 struggle to maintain cool temperatures with 95 degree outside temps, I did install some refrigerator fans as part of my fix. I discovered that it did have a single pancake fan installed. But I never had any indication it ever went on. 

I thought I had posted my installation writeup along with photos. But evidently not. Since the Rpod Owners Forum no longer allows direct upload of photos, I'll work on getting some photos in when I figure out how to do it. In the meantime this is what I did:

1. Installed plywood baffles at top and bottom vent openings to force all air circulation on the back of the refer. to go through the cooling fins. There's just too much clearance between the outside wall and the back of the refer, allowing much of the cooling air to bypass the fins.
  2. Installed a curved sheet metal baffle  at the top of the rear-side refer. compartment that facilitates the 90° turn the cooling air must make to exit the top vent. 
  3. Installed two 92 mm, 12-volt muffin fans at the top outlet vent.
  4. Wired the fans with switches that allow one or both fans to operate. The power for the fans came from the 12-volt connection* at the rear of the refer.
  5. Install dual 88 mm fans in refrigerator compartment to circulate air inside.
  6. Install 12-volt photocell switch to turn off the inside fans when refer. door is opened.
Items 5 and 6 are not completed - I just have the parts ready to install. I also purchased a set of wireless refrigerator/freezer temperature sensors to monitor refer. performance without having to open the door to read a thermometer. 

I'll get some photos in here when I get the process figured out. I hope my writeup is clear, Seth. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

* The 12-volt connection at the rear of the refer. appears to be live all the time. This makes it available if one tries to operate the refer. on 12-volts - not a good idea. But the power connection seems to work fine, since the fans draw so little current.

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:35am
If you ever move to a larger camper with a larger fridge, a worthwhile mod if you boondock is to disable the anti-condensation heater.  Older fridges had a switch.  In a cost-cutting measure they removed the switches from newer fridges but you can still easily disable it behind the light assembly.

Not an issue for the fridge in the pods.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 5:05am
Our 177 came with 2 muffin fans attached to the lower rear side of the fridge.  The problem we encountered was due to the incorrect placing of the bi-metal switch, which tells the fans when to turn on and off.  By simply moving it closer to the heat stack the problem was solved.  To find the bi-metal switch locate 2 red wires that run to it.  Simply pull off with your fingers and re-attach it.  I moved the switch so it is just under 2" away from the top of the heat stack.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply