R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother battery/charging sytstem question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another battery/charging sytstem question.
    Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 6:20pm
Hi everyone
A couple of days ago I had a few posts that pertained to my new 178 batteries (I had two GC deep cycle batteries installed when I bought it new acouple of months ago) going to 11.90 on the volt meter reading while plugged into outside power. I took the trailer to the selling dealer where they quickly verified the charging system was not working and ordered the faulty part (the inverter/charger?). They told me that was the problem and all was working fine. I took the trailer home and have left it plugged into my home's AC outlet. The last couple of days I have been checking the battery's voltage. They read 13.5 until yesterday where they read 13.0. Today they are still reading 13.0 volts. I assume that means all is OK, but it got me to thinking how do I really know that the charging system at anytime is actually working? So that is my question to the group. 

How do I determine definitively that my charging system working? 

What test can I do that proves the system is working? 

If the batteries stay at 13.0 or so volts does that prove they are being charged? Or is there a certain procedure I can do at anytime that will prove the charging system is working and will kick in when needed? 

What voltage would the batteries have to read (while sitting plugged into the house current) that I would know I have a problem (12.9..12.5...??)?

Thanks,

John 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:37pm
I think you have about got it figured out. The WFCO converter/charger has three stages: Bulk at 14.4V, absorption at 13.6V and float at 13.2V. These three levels are subject to some variation depending on temperature, point of measurement, and accuracy of the voltmeter. Your 13V measurement indicates the battery is fully charged and the charger has dropped back to the float or trickle/maintenance stage. A fully charged battery, not being drained or charged, should read around 12.6-12.7V. Anything around 13V or better indicates the charger is working. If the battery shows less than 12.6 when plugged in the charger is not working. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:50am
If you want to verify the charger/converter is working, disconnect the battery. Installing a battery disconnect makes this simple.. but if you disconnect, while hooked up to shore power, and still have 12v.. it's working. 
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by furpod

If you want to verify the charger/converter is working, disconnect the battery. Installing a battery disconnect makes this simple.. but if you disconnect, while hooked up to shore power, and still have 12v.. it's working. 

I'm sorry but this doesn't quite make sense to me what exactly you are saying. I do have a disconnect as it came with the R-Pod (red key mounted near battiers). I can easily remove the red key, which disconnects the batteries while still hooked up to shore power...but what do you mean " if still have 12v its working"? Are you referring to a voltmeter reading?...which still doesn't make sense to me...or are you referring to something else?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:14am
If you have a red key style cutoff, turn it to the off position, this isolates the batteries from the pod. If anything, lights water pump, etc in the pod still works, the 12v is coming from the charger/converter. So it's working.

The 12v items/system in your pod get 12v from one of two sources, the batteries, or the converter/charger. So, if the batteries are disconnected, the power HAS to be coming from the converter/charger.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm

Thank you. Mine has started working intermittently. It was not charging while we were at my sister's house. Later, I checked and it was charging. Today, it is exhibiting the same symptoms. The voltage is reading 12.4 while we are plugged in to shore power. I used the battery cut-off switch, and everything 12V quit.
I think I am going to order a replacement converter and have it shipped to where we will be next week. In the meantime, I will try to figure out a way to keep the batteries charged up until we get to where the replacement will be waiting.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
If you are NOT plugged into shore power (AC power outlet) then 2 golf cart batteries in series and fully charged at 100% state of charge at about a  temperature of 77°F will be about 12.74 volts.

If you ARE plugged into AC shore power, the batteries may charge, depending on whether or not they need some juice. The maintenance charge is around 13-13.5 volts. This low voltage low current charge is to keep them topped off without heating them up and boiling off the water (wet cell batteries).

If you are plugged into shore power and the voltage reads lower than 13 volts at any time, you have a converter charger issue. It shouldn't get below that. This doesn't mean your batteries are good or bad. Batteries should only be checked when they are NOT being charged. And only after they have been rested an hour or more after fully charging. Then check voltage and water levels.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by StephenH

Thank you. Mine has started working intermittently. It was not charging while we were at my sister's house. Later, I checked and it was charging. Today, it is exhibiting the same symptoms. The voltage is reading 12.4 while we are plugged in to shore power. I used the battery cut-off switch, and everything 12V quit.
I think I am going to order a replacement converter and have it shipped to where we will be next week. In the meantime, I will try to figure out a way to keep the batteries charged up until we get to where the replacement will be waiting.

many a camping trip has been saved with wal mart 6/2 amp charger and an extension cord..
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 7:53am
+1 Gotta love Wal mart
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by StephenH

It sounds to me like you may have a loose connection or two, or possibly a blown fuse. The converter should be producing > 13 volts when it's on. The 12.4 volts would be the output from the batteries when they're mildly depleted.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>