R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBed Curtain in 179

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bed Curtain in 179
    Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm
I generally get up long before my wife does, and I like to read, or work on my laptop.  I installed this curtain so that I can turn on a light or two for making coffee and reading but keep my wife in the dark.  It's good to keep her in the dark at times.  I used a standard metal closet rod and brackets.  I was able to mount these in such a way as to not interfere with the slide out, and it's easy to lift it off and out of the way if need be.  I also cut a large rubber band out of a bicycle inner tube that I can slip over the semi-circle mount to keep the rod securely in place while traveling.

The mount near the radio sicks out about 1" due to the radio, but there was still room for 2 mounting screws.  I also put some 1/8" fiberboard behind the mounts to protect the RPod's wall from get scratched by the rod.

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:56pm
I had some toroidal magnets left over from one of my projects, so my wife glued those to the stationary wall and the slide wall and we have a steel curtain rod with spherical finials that fit nicely into the holes in the magnets.
IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:33am
Great idea.  Did you consider using an adjustable shower rod?  If so, why did you decide against it?
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:29am
I've used a spring-loaded shower rod. It is hard to find them as the new ones are twist-lock with a section on the end to screw out and adjust the tension. The twist-lock part tends to come loose, probably from vibration while moving. When that happens, the shower rod falls down. This method is much more secure. When our R-Pod is repaired, I am thinking of doing something similar as even the spring-loaded one can fall. My wife has pulled it down accidentally when she did not have the curtain out of the way when she sat down. That does not make for a happy wife when that happens. Additionally, the spring-loaded bar puts pressure on the wall. That is probably not a good thing in the long run.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:14pm
I just asked a question about anyone doing this. Must have missed this thread when I searched. You curtain looks like awesome and is about what I am thinking of doing. Thanks for posting
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:25pm
Like StephenH's post, we tried the shower rod and it fell down, put undo pressure on an unsupported part of the wall and it was hard to remove when you needed to get it out of the way.  This works great, except I wish it was black.  We used tiny bungie cords and a screw eye to tie it back. 
Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:00pm
I used a nice shower rod on my 179 to do the same thing. I even used a nice shower curtain and the length was perfect. No screws, no mounting, no altering.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
KengNJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 6:37am
Originally posted by McCall

It's good to keep her in the dark at times.

Post Reply Post Reply