R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFeeling kind of stupid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeling kind of stupid
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:21pm

We got our 2017 R179 back in August.  It came with the flip foot on the tongue jack, and I would have to say I’ve never been a big fan of it.  I especially got annoyed when I couldn't get it deployed at several campsites without either blocking up my truck, or digging a hole for the foot to flip down.  Then duh, the light came on, so here’s the solution just in case someone else has had that problem….

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 7:32pm
The flip foot was the first thing I got rid of on my 180 when I bought it.  You can purchase one of these in about any store that sells trailer supplies and make your life much less frustrating.

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-28272-CURT-Jack/dp/B004QEJ6UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491525055&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+jack+foot

Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:04pm
I kind of like the flip foot. My 2016 RP-179 did not come with one. They were a later addition. I got one from someone who was not happy with it. So far, I think there has only been one instance where I did not have enough room for it to flip down. I did have one chain catch on the bolt and bend the bolt. I ended up replacing the bolt.

What came on my electric jack was an adjustable foot like thie one in the link. Although it worked okay, I did not want to get down to pull the pin and adjust it every time we stopped and then readjust it when we hitched up to go again.

Part of the issue with the flip foot might have been the hitch height when the R-Pod was connected. The 'Pod should be sitting level to slightly nose-down when hitched (on level ground). If the nose is significantly lower, it might not be allowing the space needed. Conversely, if the hitch is too high and the 'Pod is nose-up, the rear stabilizers are more likely to drag. With a truck, I can't picture the hitch as being so low you could not use the flip-foot in most circumstances.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
M&M View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:06pm
Good Evening McCall, We had the same exact issue with the flip foot, we just installed a new electric jack minus the foot. I have a question, are you using the safety chains as they came with the Pod? It looks like you have a different setup and I'm looking for a different solution and was wondering...

Thanks, M&M
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:22pm
Those are the chains that came with it.  They seem to be a good item.

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:54pm
I bought a new 178 a few months ago. I had the same problem where I would have to dig a hole to get the foot down in certain slightly uneven terrain. I got rid of it and am glad I did. I have a regular stationary round foot that works just fine. 
POD WE R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:24am
The first thing I got rid of is the flip foot. I can't even give it away. I bought an adjustable drop leg foot from E-trailer.

Eddie & Marilyn
RP 180 HRE
Arizona
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:28pm
I like the flip foot. I've had to replace the bolt twice in the 13 months we've owned our 179, but it's quick and easy to do when hooked up to the TV. I think I'm going to go with a longer bolt to get a longer shank; the bolts always broke where the threads are.
 Post Reply Post Reply