R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike rack on spare tire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike rack on spare tire?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 6:37pm
We are brand new to Podding and are wondering about carrying bikes. We have a Yakima 2-bike rack that attaches to the mounted spare tire. I asked the dealer where we got our 180 how much weight the spare, and associated mounting, could hold. He had never heard this question and told us 200 lbs. 
Does this seem right? Our bikes, and the rack, weigh approximately 80 lbs in addition to the spare. I have attached the rack securely to the tire and my main concern is the amount of flex in the bar under the rear of the trailer that holds the hitch-mounted spare. 
I'm guessing that Forest River wouldn't sell a bike rack for the 180 rear hitch if it wasn't capable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris 
2017 RPOD 180 Hood River Edition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:27pm
Adding bikes to the spare is not a good idea. It's not only the total weight, but the leverage created by the distance out from the small receiver. FR sells a very light two bike carrier that can be plugged directly into the 1-1/4" receiver but the same item can bought from Amazon. I carried two bikes for a while with now problems. The spare must go somewhere else such as on the tongue or in the TV. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:40pm
"He had never heard this question and told us 200 lbs. Does this seem right?"
 I think the official rating is 150lbs, but I'm not 100% on that.
"Our bikes, and the rack, weigh approximately 80 lbs in addition to the spare. I have attached the rack securely to the tire and my main concern is the amount of flex in the bar under the rear of the trailer that holds the hitch-mounted spare." 
Do I understand this correctly? You are planning to use the rear receiver hitch on the POD to carry both the spare tire AND two bikes? If so then I would say...not a good idea. 

"I'm guessing that Forest River wouldn't sell a bike rack for the 180 rear hitch if it wasn't capable. Any feedback would be appreciated."
My understanding is that THE bike rack sold by FR is the ONLY one approved by FR for use on the POD. 

There have been several failures with the exact bar you mention for the exact same concern that you have...flexing and bobbing while underway. It's not as much about the amount of weight as it is the effect of extending that weight away from the POD. 

I use the the POD receiver to hold the spare tire and purchased folding bikes. 

Good luck, Have Fun! 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
 Post Reply Post Reply