Topic ClosedCautionary Tale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cautionary Tale
    Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:12pm
In my opinion, the exact tongue weight of a trailer can only be known by weighing every time.  Things as small as the precise location of the battery can cause a variance of a few pounds, not to mention which battery you get and how many batteries.  (Just for example.)  Tongue weight is also affected by whether there is spare tire mounted (and where).  If it's on the back, it's going to lighten the tongue weight.So anyway, yes, a dealer should be able to tell you the exact tongue weight of your trailer at the moment you purchase it, but as a practical matter, only by actually weighing it.  After that, it is highly affected by what you put in the trailer and where.  So much so that what the tongue weight is at the moment of sale is not irrelevant, but nearly so.Out of curiosity, what happened between you and your dealer to trigger this warning?TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:58pm
I always add  and extra 35# for the propane, 20# for the bat., 10 # for the jack to the tongue weight to give me a weight for the hitch.  
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:29pm
I won't detail the dealership, but I will warn EVERYONE who is going to purchase a travel trailer to demand an EXACT tongue weight before purchasing a camper. There is NO reason an RV dealership can't do this. If they say they don't have a tongue scale, run away, that is not a reputable response.

DO NOT BELIEVE the websites of the manufacturers. They specifically use a stripped un-optioned, empty , no propane, no battery trailer as their basis for their charts. The trailer manufacturer  ABSOLUTELY KNOWS every single pound of every option and what it does to gross weight and tongue weight. It is a LIE if they claim it's not possible to know in advance. They design them and build them, they know precisely where the balance point is and the axle(s) and coupler, and if they add anything they know what weights will be.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123