R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome on a 179 with lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome on a 179 with lift
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
Hi, 

I have a 2014 R-pod 179 that has the 4" (I believe) lift blocks.  I also have an r-dome.  Last weekend was the first time we used the r-dome.  I really had a hard time figuring it out.  Where I struggled most was fastening the sides of the dome to the camper.  I used the suction cup hooks, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with them.  Also, the stake loops were not even close to the ground.  I'm assuming this is because of the lift kit?  For those that have the r-dome with the 179, how do you fasten it to the camper?  

Thanks.
ragadas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 7:33am
We have pretty much the same set-up on a 2015 179 and the r-dome doesn't reach the ground very well right up next to the trailer. I tied some lengths of para cord to those loops and tie the corners off to the trailer jacks or the frame, which ever is most convenient. Also, I don't stake every loop...a couple on each side and a couple on the front plus the outside tethers have held fine in some seriously rough weather.

The suction cups are pretty much useless....sometimes they stick, sometimes not. Maybe someone can suggest replacements that work.
Dave & Chris
RP 179
2011 Tacoma Access Cab
V6 6 speed manual.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 7:57am
R-Dome "fitting" seems to go through a few predictable stages-  Stage 1 is just getting all the darn pieces in the right place. 

Stage two is trying to tailor the 'dome to look like the pictures.  It is during this stage that you figure out that the R-Dome is really just a Dometic 13' cabana that was designed for a pop-up and really only comes close to working on an R-Pod.  The fact that the stake loops don't quite reach the ground and that the suction cups only work on non-decal surfaces (if at all) is part of the discovery process of Stage 2.  This is also when the insect screen is ripped forcefully from the bottom keder rail and deposited in the campground dumpster.

Stage 3 is the "resignation" stage wherein you accept the R-Dome and it's limitations for what they're worth and get on with the enjoyment of camping.  It's kind of a Zen thing...
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:00am
Stage 4 is when you figure out how to attach an awning instead of an R-dome. StarStarStar
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply