R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi, Pod people! + Repair ques

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi, Pod people! + Repair ques
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:39pm
Ahoy, r-Pod People:

My wife and I are excited to have our new -to-us 178, a 2014.  We've been cleaning it up after towing it to our new home and discovered the problem below.  Any ideas about best practices about how to fix it?  I can only think of bigger/longer screws since they have ripped out.  I don't know how this happened.  The trailer did slide off a leveler but it only slid a a foot or two.  We're bummed because we have yet to spend one night in it!  Anyway, these rigs need steady maintenance, I know.  So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'll be lurking and posting.  Thanks so much!

This is from the front edge where the rock protector plate meets the bottom edge.  That base trim has pulled away a little, too.  Help!

Scott

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:26am
I'm going to hazard a guess that is some sort of impact damage. Talk to Forrest River, or your local R-pod dealer to find out what your options are.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:33pm
My 2014 171 did the Same thing It  started just like that  basically just opened up on both sides and all the way across in the front if you look closely at the diamond plate is pulling away underneath I'm sure on yours too and water can get in between that because I could put my hand under and reach around inside there it ripped the diamond plate where the screw stayed in the wood I added more  screws and they just pulled  back out of the wood and it had never been wrecked hit or anythin really never got it fixed but added a bunch of steel to the Front so it will hold the front shut as I tied to  braces that come off the frame it looks terrible but it keeps it Shut so water won't get in something wasn't built right if you can take yours back I would but it's too late for me
Love to camp
2014 171
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:06pm
Hey, Jpntime:

I figured I was not the first.  My goal is a secure fix.  I can live with some cosmetic funk, but I want something that holds and keeps the elements out.  Can you post some pics of what you did?  I do have a message into rPod, and we'll see what they say.  I will keep up with this thread to help out others.

Thanks, folks.  Keep the intel coming.

Scott
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 3:56pm
Here are some pics from Mike of what he did to fix the problem.  I've got to crawl underneath and see what I can bolt the brackets to, which I'll have to manufacture--ugh.  I'm still waiting on news from rPod.  We'll see if they come through.

Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
So far, rPod/Forest River has been useless.  Their 'fix" is to  do this:

" The easiest fix would be to remove the front rails and reinstall them, ensuring all screws are stable and secure. Then reseal the rail thoroughly to avoid any water infilitration."

This is basically useless information.  Gah!  This is a basically--Yer on yer own, chump! kind of response.  I've asked for more detail/info. and if anyone there has actually ever worked on this problem.  I'm not holding my breath.  Every screw along the bottom leading edge has blown out.  What the hell?  Seems like crappy construction to me.  I'll report back on my fix.  Gah.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 10:03am
You may find some helpful ideas in this thread:

I found that a combination of epoxy, Sikaflex, Proflex and longer stainless screws fixed the problem - probably better than new. Mine was not as severe as yours. In the thread above, I linked to several factory pics which will give you a good idea of construction.

Basically, if you have a good foundation for the rail screws to attach to, you should be fine. It's important, though, that you check for soft or damaged framing members and repair prior to replacing screws. Interesting that the pic you posted showed no signs of rust on the rail screw. That's a good thing.

Hope that helps.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
Thanks, everyone.  I decided to get after it and pretty much did what fwunder mentions.  I took some 3" long deck screws--some shorter ones for holding the diamond plate underneath--and went after it.  The long screws did the trick--plenty of bite, cinched down nicely.  The diamond plate was only held on with about three screws underneath!  All had blown out.  I've now got about 10 stitched across there.  Everything has been sealed. I'm certain it's much stronger than new.  I was hesitant, but decided to just go for it, and it appears to have worked out very well.

Thanks again.

Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply