R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAntenna Boost Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenna Boost Issue
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 3:53pm
Working an issue that started today. When using my television antenna and enabling the amp - when I push in small button on that turns boost in, it lights and when I released it the light goes off, it doesn't stay on. I have verified when the light is on the boost is on and the antenna is working. I get tele signal. As long as I hold the button on - the boost is working. I pegged the button down with a toothpick and the amp works and I get reception, release the button and - no boost - the power goes off. My assumption is the antenna and the boost is working. The switch is NOT. There is no loss of 12V. As long as the switch is forced closed. I can either replace switch or buy a large amount of toothpicks. My first question is - is that a Winegard plate or is it another make? I have the old style "Batwing" antenna. THANKS.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:25pm

My best guess would be a faulty switch. Unless you want to try to "MacGuyver" a fix, then my other best guess that it is a Winegard part.

Awhile back I saw one with a built in signal strength meter, which I thought would be nice - should I ever need to replace mine.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:47pm
THANKS David, I found a replacement for the wall plate, no OEM but looks exactly the same. I don't think it is a Winegard part. God Bless FR. I can run the whole RV on back wards engineering, but sometimes I actually like to fix something. Not sure what a signal strength meter would buy me with these simple batwings.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 1:39pm
I like the toothpick plan
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
Robert1969 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by mcarter

THANKS David, I found a replacement for the wall plate, no OEM but looks exactly the same. I don't think it is a Winegard part. God Bless FR. I can run the whole RV on back wards engineering, but sometimes I actually like to fix something. Not sure what a signal strength meter would buy me with these simple batwings.

Hello Mike old post sorry. What part did you get? Mine when out today. Bought a Winegard rv-7542 on Amazon but not sure if it’s the right one. Just curious what you got.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:50pm
Robert1969,

My original or the replacement part do not appear to be Wineguard. What was unique about mine was it has 5 integrated coaxs on back of panel, no numbers anywhere. No WINEGUARD labels. I found it by looking at pictures and am trying to locate where I got it from. I have both the old and new parts, they are the same. It was a direct replacement. Still looking.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 1:27pm
Robert1969,

I found a source and it is a direct replacement for mine that was bad. It is NOT Wineguard. It's on eBAY, Item# 161360718520, listed as RV Trailer Motorhome Antenna Distribution Wall Plate, 18.99 free ship. Same place I got my replacement. Hope that helps.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Robert1969 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 8:03pm
That’s it! Thank you 
pjfrog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:13am
This is the tv booster that I've been looking for to replace the one in my 2016, 171.
Ours was working fine until we changed campgrounds yesterday.  When I ran an over the air search, with the booster on, the air search only found 2 channels.  With the booster off the over the air search found 18 channels.  Opposite from what you'd expect.  Also, a good signal (tv station) with the booster off, goes away when the booster is turned on.
So I took the thing apart to check for loose connections or something that was obviously wrong.  I didn't check input voltage or ohm out the fuse because the power light comes on.
The amp is an octopus looking circuit card with coax connectors at the end of the tentacles.  The nut at the end of the antenna cable was tight on the card connector but the cable was not seated fully to the amp connector.  The threads on the amp connector wouldn't let the antenna cable thread fully on.
I decided to try a science experiment and hooked the antenna cable directly to the tv cable, bypassing the amp completely.  Now I'm getting 30ish channels as clearly as I've ever seen them.  So my conclusion is the tv booster is junk, not worth replacing with the same model.  Maybe one made by Winegard, or another manufacturer, may work better.  I still don't know who makes the fine device that FR installed.  And I don't know what's wrong with it, but I don't think I care.
I think I'll go for an antenna I can mount to a mast on the outside of the pod.  One I can rotate to get the best signal.  

pjfrog
HR 171
F150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:21am
Pjfrog,

Replacing mine fixed the issue I detailed on this post. Not to say it would fix every problem. I get very degraded performance with PA OFF. Like you I have no idea who makes the older antenna boost systems, and I'm sure there was a reason the new PODs have a different system. My over the air TV reception really is not my highest priority, we mainly watch movies. If you come up with a suitable replacement let us know.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>