R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBolt on Front Boot bent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt on Front Boot bent
    Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:33am
Question - the bolt that goes through the front crank and ultimately raises and lowers the boot on our unit is bent and causes the boot to bind when being cranked up or down.  It seems by looking at it all that is required is to take the weight off the boot, remove and repace the bolt.  Is it just that easy? or is there something else that would be required?
Thanks
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:21pm
Are you writing about the flip foot? If so, then just buy a replacement bolt (and washers and nylock nut if desired), hitch the trailer to your TV so you can retract the foot and then remove the bent bolt and install the new one. It really is that easy. Approve I had to do that when the tow chain caught on the bolt on ours and bent it significantly. Just make sure you don't tighten the nut so tight that the foot can't swivel.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:25pm
I would suggest getting a longer bolt than what came on it. Ours has broken at the base of the threads twice. If you get the whole foot on the unthreaded shank, it should stand up to a lot more stress.
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 7:01am
Yep...it's the flip foot.....and thanks to both of you for the info.... I wondered how it got bent in the first place but getting caught up in the chain makes sense.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 8:16pm
Glad to be of assistance. I think that if I went with a longer bolt, I would want to cut off some of the excess threads to minimize the possibility of the bolt catching the chain and getting bent again. I have been careful to make sure the chains are clear of the foot and bolt when raising and lowering the jack now.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Glad to be of assistance. I think that if I went with a longer bolt, I would want to cut off some of the excess threads to minimize the possibility of the bolt catching the chain and getting bent again. I have been careful to make sure the chains are clear of the foot and bolt when raising and lowering the jack now.

I'd do the same. I also am very careful to make sure the chain clears the bolt now. In fact, that was probably one of the contributing factors to the chains pulling out of the A-frame; the other is the mounting point only being about 1/8" thick. I think I read somewhere that FR fixed the chain attachments on the 2017 models.
 Post Reply Post Reply