R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDual Battery Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Battery Question
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:34am
I store our R Pod. I learned (the usual way) to take the battery home between trips to maintain charge. I have a "Battery Tender Junior".

I will be adding another battery for up-coming boon docking trip. 

My question is: When home can I (should I) charge them together or just alternate with the "Tender"?
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:02am
Better is to have a battery cut off switch, so no amps escape when not in use..
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by RichC

I store our R Pod. I learned (the usual way) to take the battery home between trips to maintain charge. I have a "Battery Tender Junior".

I will be adding another battery for up-coming boon docking trip. 

My question is: When home can I (should I) charge them together or just alternate with the "Tender"?

The way I read it, you are going to get another 12V battery and wire them in parallel when in use. Please correct me if I am mistaken and you are going to get a pair of 6V batteries and wire them in series instead.
The advice about a battery cut-off switch is valid if your storage is such that it will not be sitting for months at a time. If you need to leave it for extended periods, taking the batteries home is probably a better choice. If so, then I think you would be okay with wiring 12V batteries in parallel much as you would if it were connected in the R-Pod and charging both at the same time. The same applies to 6V batteries wired in series. I have done that with my 6V batteries with no problem.
The caveat: Check the battery tender instructions to see if it can support the batteries so wired. It may have a maximum battery amp-hour rating it will support.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Gene and Fonya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:27am
Either buy a second tender or alternate between the two.  Tying both to the tender could cause problems because you would be essentially connecting them in parallel.  Unless both batteries were bought at the same time from the same manufacturer and the same lot and are always used in parallel you could have an increased self discharge rate for the pair as they try to equalize their differences.    

I assume you will be using an switch to select between the batteries when you are camping to prevent these issues and some kind of solar system to recharge the off-line battery as the life of lead acid batteries can be significantly shortened if left in a discharged state.

Gene
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:27am
We have two 12V batteries, and I wire them in series for 24V, and I have a 24V smart charger to "top them up". About once a month, I hook them up and run it for a few hours. Once the batteries are charged, the smart charger turns itself off. I check it every hour or two to see if it's done.

If you only have a 12V charger, you could hook them in parallel and charge them together that way.

If you have 6V batteries, you could hook them in series and use a 12V charger, or if you have a 6V charger, then charge them in parallel.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:10am
RichC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie